Although the law enforcers have claimed that two witnesses of Gulshan terror attack – Tahmid Hasib Khan and Hasnat R Karim – were released on the night of July 8, their families, however, said that they were yet to return at home.
Sources close to the investigation confirmed to the Dhaka Tribune that the duo were kept in custody as of yesterday.
The Daily Prothom Alo on Monday said that Tahmid and Hasnat had been questioned at the DB office as of Sunday evening.
The duo were rescued in Operation Thunderbolt and taken in as witnesses together with 25 other people on July 2.
Both Hasnat and Tahmid were mentioned, along with 32 others rescued from the restaurant, in the case filed in connection with the attack, as survivors.
All of the survivors of the Holey Artisan Bakery attack, except University of Toronto student Tahmid and former North South University teacher Hasnat, were released the day after their rescue.
Police have been playing “hide and seek” over the issue as they strongly did not either denied or confirmed that the duo was in their custody.
“They have been released [from custody] after interrogation,” DMP Deputy Commissioner Masudur Rahman told the Dhaka Tribune yesterday. He, however, could not ascertain the exact time of their “release.”
Acting deputy commissioner Saiful Islam of the Counter-Terrorism and Transnational Crime Unit of the police, also said yesterday that they released the duo after interrogation.
DB (north) Deputy Commissioner Sheikh Nazmul Alam, however, answered very technically as he neither denied or accepted that the duo was in their custody.
The family members of Tahmid, a final year student of global health at the University of Toronto, Canada and a resident there, have been running a campaign on social media to get him back.