Malaysia government's decision to freeze recruitment of foreign workers from all countries will not affect the validity of the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed with Bangladesh, Malaysian Human Resource Minister Richard Riot has said.
The Malaysian minister made the statement on Thursday, Malaysian newspaper The Star reported.
“The agreement will remain valid when the freeze is lifted. We have signed agreements for intake of foreign labour not only with Bangladesh but with seven countries. The freeze does not make the agreements null and void," Richard Riot was quoted by The Star.
The Southeast Asian country’s Deputy Prime Minister Ahmad Zahid Hamidi announced the suspension of recruiting foreign workers on March 12.
"There will not be one, let alone 1.5 million new foreign workers coming into our country," Hamidi said.
Earlier on February 19, Malaysia took the decision to freeze all recruitment of foreign workers.
However, a day after the decision Malaysian Human Resources Minister Datuk Seri Richard Riot, in a statement, said that the decision of the Malaysian government to "freeze all recruitment" of foreign workers will not affect the validity of the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed with Bangladesh.
On February 18, Bangladesh inked a deal to send 1.5 million workers to Malaysia under Government to Government Plus mechanism.
Malaysia stopped taking Bangladeshi migrants in 2008 but resumed it under the G2G mechanism in 2013 for the plantation sector. But that scheme did not work.