In the movie “Chhutir Ghonta” the schoolboy character of “Khokon” died after being mistakenly locked in the school bathroom before vacation. The film was based on a real-life incident at a Cox's Bazar school.
Leon Das, 9, from Satkhira was close to suffering the same fate as Khokon after he was locked in his school's bathroom for more than six hours. But fortunately, the fifth grader was rescued before tragedy could strike.
A clerk at Kaliganj's Fatehpur Primary School locked the bathroom on Wednesday after classes without checking if anyone was inside.
Leon's father Arbindu Das said that his son had gone to the toilet when classes were about to end.
Arbindu called Headmaster Golam Rabbani over the phone as his son did not return hours after the classes ended. Rabbani told him that Leon was not at the school either.
Leon's family members went to school clerk Abdul Hye's house that night for the keys to the rooms and bathrooms to check for themselves if the boy had been mistakenly locked in.
But Hye behaved rudely, Arbindu claimed, and refused to hand over the keys.
The family approached local influential figures and finally took the keys from Hye around 10:30pm and went to the school. They did not find the boy after searching all the classrooms.
But they were in for a shock when they unlocked the bathroom – Leon was lying on the floor unconscious.
Headmaster Rabbani apologised to Leon’s father on Thursday saying that he did not know his student had been locked in the bathroom.
Sreepur UP Chairman Prasanta Sarkar instructed Arbindu Das to file a complaint with the Upazila Nirbahi Officer.
However, Arbindu said that he did not want to take legal steps against the headmaster and the clerk.
The fifth grader has since recovered and joined classes on Saturday.