'We started getting the benefit of the first phase of the drive that saw eviction of a total of 40,000 illegal establishments'
daThe eviction drive against illegal establishments on the bank of rivers, canal and government wetlands across the country will be launched on February 23 next with the initiative of Water Resources Ministry.
Water Resources Secretary Kabir Bin Anwar on Thursday made the announcement while discussing with concerned officials of 64 districts through a videoconferencing at the ministry's conference room in Dhaka, said a press release.
The ministry has taken the initiative after completion of the first phase of countrywide eviction drive started on December 23 last year by Water Development Board and respective district administrations, reports BSS.
"We started getting the benefit of the first phase of the drive that saw eviction of a total of 40,000 illegal establishments," Kabir Bin Anwar said.
He said they evicted around 5,000 more establishments in the first phase and recovered 600 acres of land in the country. He expressed his hope that no mercy will be shown in eviction drive against illegal occupation.
He asked the concerned district administration and Water Development Board for increasing surveillance to sand mining in target areas.