Due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak, the government has decided to limit gatherings during the Independence Day celebrations
Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan Kamal has said this year’s Independence Day program will be celebrated on a limited scale as a precaution amid the Covid-19 outbreak.
Mass rally or gatherings centring March 26 has been discouraged and no cultural program will be held outdoor.
The minister disclosed the information on Wednesday after a meeting of top officials of law enforcement agencies at the secretariat, regarding observation of the Genocide Day and the Independence Day.
He said, for the fourth successive year, the government has decided to observe a minute’s blackout on the night of March 25, marking the Genocide Day.
The blackout program will be observed for one minute from 9 pm on March 25.
Additional security measures will also be taken on the occasion, said the minister.
Besides, measures will be taken to maintain security at Savar National Mausoleum as the President and Prime Minister will go there. The number of guests will also be limited.
A special meal will be served in jails, hospitals, and orphanages to mark the day.
All celebrations will be conducted on a small scale so that there is a lower risk of any contamination of Covid-19.
Previously, on March 8, Bangladesh confirmed its first three patients infected by Covid-19.
On Wednesday, the Institute of Epidemiology Disease Control and Research (IEDCR) said new test results of two among three patients who were found positive with Coronavirus infection are now showing negative.
Till now 121,503 cases of Covid-19 has been recorded worldwide with 4,383 deaths.