• Thursday, Aug 18, 2022
  • Last Update : 04:24 pm

Sinha killing: Probe panel interrogates Inspector Liakat, SI Nanda Dulal

  • Published at 11:46 am August 17th, 2020
Maj (Ret) Sinha Md Rashed Khan <strong>Collected</strong>
File photo of Major (retd) Sinha Md Rashed Khan Collected

Pradeep will face interrogation on Tuesday, says inquiry body chief

The inquiry panel of the Home Ministry has interrogated two senior Teknaf police officers over the July 31 killing of retired Major Sinha Mohammad Rashed Khan.

Inspector Liakat Ali, former in-charge of Baharchhara investigation centre, and Sub-Inspector Nanda Dulal Rakkhit, were interrogated on Monday at Cox’s Bazar Central Jail.

“[Former] OC Pradeep Kumar Das will be questioned on Tuesday,” said Chittagong’s Additional Divisional Commissioner Mizanur Rahman, who heads the four-strong panel. 

“We have already interrogated four other policemen [accused in the case by Sinha’s family] and three witnesses [in the case initiated by Teknaf police after the killing],” he added. 

On Sunday, the probe panel held a public hearing, when it heard the testimonies of nine witnesses. 

Following the hearing at Shamlapur in Teknaf’s Baharchhara Union, near the crime scene, probe panel chief Rahman said their investigation was at its final stage.

“We hope to file our findings on August 23,” he said, speaking to the media.

RAB chief in Cox’s Bazar

The chief of Rapid Action Battalion (RAB), which is in charge of the investigation, went to Cox’s Bazar on Monday and spoke with incident witnesses.

Speaking to the media after inspecting the Shamlapur investigation centre, RAB Director General Abdullah Al Mamun said his force was working on some major leads.

“I cannot comment on it for the sake of the investigation,” he said, before adding there was “no misunderstanding between the two forces” over the killing of Sinha. 

“In an effort to ensure a proper probe, the investigating officer has been changed,” said Mamun.

On the night of July 31, Major Sinha was shot dead at a police check-post on Marine Drive Road between Cox’s Bazar and Teknaf.

On August 5, Sinha’s sister, Sharmin Shahriar Ferdous, filed a case with the Senior Judicial Magistrate Court of Teknaf against nine policemen, including Pradeep and Liakat.

On August 6, seven of the accused surrendered in court, which sent them to jail after scrapping their bail pleas.

Soon after the court’s order, the Rapid Action Battalion (RAB), which is in charge of the probe, moved a petition for taking the suspects into custody. The court remanded Pradeep, Liakat, and Nanda Dulal, for seven days and gave investigators two days to interrogate the four other suspects.

The court later issued arrest warrants for the two fugitive suspects named in the case.

The RAB has already started interrogating seven suspects, including four cops.

Assistant Sub-Inspector Liton Miah, and Constables Safanur Karim, Kamal Hossain, and Abdullah Al Mamun, are in the custody of RAB. The elite police unit is also questioning three witnesses in the case started by police after the killing of Sinha.