• Thursday, Aug 18, 2022
  • Last Update : 04:24 pm

UNOs to get Ansar members for security

  • Published at 12:21 am September 4th, 2020
Ghoraghat Upazila Nirbahi Officer (UNO) of Dinajpur Wahida Khanam
File photo of Ghoraghat Upazila Nirbahi Officer (UNO) of Dinajpur Wahida Khanam Dhaka Tribune

State Minister for Public Administration tells the media

The government, in a bid to ensure safety and security of the country's upazila nirbahi officers (UNO), has decided to appoint Ansar members at their official residences.

Members of the paramilitary auxiliary force will be stationed by next week, said State Minister for Public Administration Farhad Hossain.

He made the announcement on Thursday after visiting UNO Wahida Khanam of Dinajpur’s Ghoraghat at the National Institute of Neurosciences and Hospital (NINH) in Dhaka.

He said that the ministry has decided to appoint Ansar members for the security of UNOs. 

Also Read -  Doctor: Attack left Dinajpur UNO partially paralyzed

He also told the media that Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has directed to ensure maximum treatment for Wahida, who was critically wounded in an attack by unknown assailants at her government residence during the early hours of Thursday.

The government official’s father, Omar Ali, was also severely injured in the incident when he tried to save his daughter from her assailants.

According to local sources, intruders broke into the UNO's residence at around 2:30am on Thursday through a window. 

After entering the house, they assaulted UNO Wahida.

Wahida and her father were taken to Rangpur Medical College Hospital. Later in the day, the public servant was moved to the ICU of the Rangpur Community Medical College Hospital.

Also Read - Attack on UNO: Police detain 2 for interrogation

As her condition deteriorated, Wahida was flown to Dhaka by an air force helicopter and was admitted to the NINH. 

"There are fractures on her skull. She has also suffered excessive bleeding," Prof Quazi Deen Mohammad, director of the NINH in Dhaka, told reporters while giving an update on her condition Thursday evening. 

He said that it seemed Wahida was hit in the head with a metal object.

"She is not fully conscious. Her blood pressure has dropped. She is not in a stable condition," the NINH director added.

According to sources, Wahida Khanam was taken to an operation theatre (OT) of the NINH at around 9pm.