• Sunday, Aug 14, 2022
  • Last Update : 04:24 pm

O Level student rape: Security guard made witness

  • Published at 09:00 pm January 12th, 2021
Friends and classmates of the O level rape victim organize protest at Dhaka's Dhanmondi 27 Road on Saturday, January 9 Mahmud Hossain Opu/Dhaka Tribune

Md Dulal, 45, was picked up from Dhaka’s Kalabagan area on Monday

The security guard of the Kalabagan building, where an O Level student was raped and later died due to haemorrhagic shock caused by excessive bleeding, has been made witness to the crime following his statement before a Dhaka court on Tuesday.

Md Dulal, 45, was picked up from the Lazz Pharma lane of Dhaka’s Kalabagan area at around 12pm on Monday.

Sajjadur Rahman, deputy commissioner (DC) of Ramna division of Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP), confirmed the matter to Dhaka Tribune. 

He said: “Not only did we get important information from him [the detained security guard] but also recorded his statement as a witness to the incident under Section 164 of the Code of Criminal Procedure. 

“The witness gave his statement in his full conscience before a magistrate. Thus, we don’t need to pray for remand and as investigations are underway, we cannot disclose what he said.”

Also Read - O Level student rape: Police pick up security guard for questioning

Sub-Inspector (SI) Swapan Kumar, general recording officer (GRO) of the court, said that Dhaka Metropolitan Magistrate Mamunur Rashid recorded the security guard’s statement after Kalabagan police station Officer-in-Charge (OC) AFM Asaduzzaman, the investigation officer (IO) of the rape and murder case, produced him in court with a plea to record his statement.

Police earlier said that they were looking for the security guard as he had helped the lone accused, Fardin Iftekhar Dihan, 18, to carry the victim out of the house and claimed that he might know something.

Investigations underway

Contacted, Abul Hasan, assistant commissioner (New Market Zone) of Dhaka Metropolitan Police said: “After getting the DNA test report of the victim, cross-matched with the accused, we will assemble all the other evidence that we already have and go for further procedure.”

However, the IO of the cases, OC AFM Asaduzzaman, could not be reached over the phone despite repeated attempts. 

‘Dihan is a criminal by habit’

Additional DIG Md Shahadat Hossain, head of the Forensic Department of Criminal Investigation Department (CID) said that DNA cross-matching (of the samples of the victim and the accused) were underway in the lab. 

“We will be able to say more as soon as the cross-matching is done,” he told this correspondent.

“The results will come out on time and will be submitted to the court accordingly. We received the DNA sample of the lone accused on Monday and it will not take any extra time to cross-match it with the victim’s samples,” Md Shahadat added.

“He [accused Dihan] had confessed on Monday in front of us that he alone raped the victim. During his statement, he described to us how horrifically he had committed the crime. He also told us that he had done other crimes previously,” said the CID forensic chief.

“In fact, Dihan is a criminal by habit,” Md Shahadat added. 

What happened?

On January 7, the victim left her house at around 11:45am after telling her mother over the phone that she was going to a coaching class to collect some worksheets, according to the case statement.

Dihan called the victim's mother at 1:18pm and said her daughter had gone to his house at Kalabagan’s Lake circus area, where she had fallen sick.

Dihan asked her mother to go to the emergency department of Anwer Khan Modern Hospital at Kalabagan area, where her daughter had been taken.

Also Read - Police: Evidence will determine facts of O level student rape case

When the victim’s mother reached the hospital, the on-duty doctor informed her that her daughter had been murdered after rape, said the case statement.

The parents of the victim learnt later that Dihan had asked the victim to go to his flat, which was empty as the other members of his family were out at the time. He raped their daughter there and took her to the hospital when she started to bleed profusely. 

According to the confession of Dihan before a Dhaka court, police also said Dihan had a plan and intentionally called the victim to his house. He admitted that he had developed a friendly relationship with the girl “which may turn into a love affair.”