• Wednesday, Aug 17, 2022
  • Last Update : 04:24 pm

Hefazat leader Mamunul remanded, taken to DB office

  • Published at 11:40 am April 19th, 2021
Mamunul Haque Hefazat remand
Police escort Hefazat-e-Islam leader Mamunul Haque from the Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Court in Dhaka on Monday after he was remanded in a violence case Dhaka Tribune

Police to quiz him in a case filed over obstructing religious activities at a mosque, attempted murder, vandalism

A Dhaka court has placed Hefazat-e-Islam Joint Secretary General Mamunul Haque on a seven-day remand in a case filed with Mohammadpur police station last year.

Dhaka Metropolitan Magistrate Debdas Chandra Adhikari passed the order rejecting his bail prayer on Monday after the police produced him before the court in the morning amid tight security.

Mohammadpur police station Sub-Inspector Sajedul Haq, also the investigating officer (IO), submitted a petition seeking remand to interrogate Mamunul in police custody.

The case was lodged by one GM Alamgir Shahin against Mamunul and seven others on March 7, 2020.

Lawyer Jaynul Abedin Mezbah stood for Mamunul, also the acting secretary general of Bangladesh Khelafat Majlish, who was arrested on Sunday afternoon.

The case alleges that Mamunul and the other accused along with 70-80 others unnamed assaulted, attempted to murder, intimidated and created obstacles in performing religious activities during an attack at Sat Gumbad Mosque on the night of March 6 last year.

The plaintiff’s Samsung mobile phone set, Tk7,000, $200, and a Brac Bank debit card were snatched during an attack.

Alamgir Shahin also alleged that the accused hurt his religious sentiments as the attack had been carried out during religious sermons.

After the hearing, Mamunul was taken to the Detective Branch’s (DB) Mintoo Road office for further interrogation instead of a police station due to security reasons.

Also Read - Hefazat’s Mamunul in police custody

Mamunul was arrested by a joint team of police and detectives at Jamia Rahmania Arabia Madrasa in the capital's Mohammadpur area.

The Hefazat leader has been in the limelight for several months for mobilizing violent movements demanding the removal of Bangabandhu's sculpture and protesting against the arrival of the Indian prime minister.

At a media call immediately after the arrest, DMP Deputy Commissioner (DC) Harun-or-Rashid said Mamunul had been under police scanner following the recent protests by Hefazat men across the country.

"He influenced his followers, who attacked, vandalized police stations, police outposts, and other government and private establishments."

Meanwhile, the Hefazat leader has been sued in several cases filed over violence that took place near Baitul Mukarram National Mosque during Hefazat's demonstrations on March 26, and following his confinement with a woman at a resort in Sonargaon, Narayanganj.

DB officials said that he was also named in a number of cases filed over the Hefazat mayhem in the capital on May 5, 2013.

Mamunul was behind the scene since April 3 after he had been surrounded by locals and ruling party supporters with a woman, whom he identified as his second wife, at Royal Resort in Sonargaon on April 3.

Officials of the local administration and the police went to the resort upon hearing about the incident, and sat with Mamunul to learn about the incident. Later a group of stick-wielding Hefazat supporters launched an attack on the resort, vandalized it and snatched Mamunul from the police.