• Saturday, Jan 29, 2022
  • Last Update : 03:32 am

Study: Half of migrant workers still unemployed

  • Published at 09:12 pm April 30th, 2021
Migrant workers
MEHEDI HASAN

Some 28% of the returnees claimed to be already in debt, a recent study finds

Some 47% of the Bangladeshi migrant workers who returned home last year due to the Covid-19 pandemic are yet to get engaged in any income-generating activity, says a Brac survey.

Hence, they are either left dependent on family members or on personal loans from their near and dear ones, says the survey revealed on Friday.

On the contrary, 53% of the expatriates have started small businesses or are working as day labourers to make a living. Still a whopping 98% returnees are extremely concerned about their future.

Brac Migration Program carried out the survey titled “Searching and Analysing the Socio-economic Status of Returnees”, which is actually a follow-up on the 1,360 migrant workers from 30 districts who returned to Bangladesh in March and April last year.

The first survey on them was published on May 22 last year. However, 207 of them have already travelled abroad again while just 417 of the expatriates, including only 4.32% women, gave detailed information when contacted for the survey.

Most of the expatriates have returned to Malaysia, Saudi Arabia, UA and other Middle Eastern countries.       

As many as 88.01% of the migrant workers, who participated in the survey, now live in villages. At least 87% of the returnees said they had no source of income in last year’s survey. But this time around, some 52.77% expatriates got an income source.

Those who could not manage a work (47.22%) are relying on their family income or taking loans from friends and relatives.

Some 28% of the respondents claimed to be already in debt, while the rest (72%) said they wanted to return abroad to earn their daily bread.

Mental stress

The survey also highlighted the psychological state of the migrant workers caused due to a drastic fall in income and uncertainty about future employment and family issues.

Some 98% expatriates said that they were in growing mental pressure and panic. The figure last year was 74%.

Satisfyingly, 71% of the returnees received decent behaviour from their relatives and neighbours.

Nearly 500,000 Bangladeshi expatriates were forced to return home between March last year and this April. Many of them returned due to panic, while others came due to different reasons including termination of job and illness. Many of them returned permanently and others came on leave.

Currently, more than 10 million Bangladeshi expatriates work across the world. Despite the pandemic, the country’s remittance earnings amounted to $22 billion last year. In the first three months of this year, another 150,000 Bangladeshis went abroad for livelihood. 



50
Facebook 50
blogger sharing button blogger
buffer sharing button buffer
diaspora sharing button diaspora
digg sharing button digg
douban sharing button douban
email sharing button email
evernote sharing button evernote
flipboard sharing button flipboard
pocket sharing button getpocket
github sharing button github
gmail sharing button gmail
googlebookmarks sharing button googlebookmarks
hackernews sharing button hackernews
instapaper sharing button instapaper
line sharing button line
linkedin sharing button linkedin
livejournal sharing button livejournal
mailru sharing button mailru
medium sharing button medium
meneame sharing button meneame
messenger sharing button messenger
odnoklassniki sharing button odnoklassniki
pinterest sharing button pinterest
print sharing button print
qzone sharing button qzone
reddit sharing button reddit
refind sharing button refind
renren sharing button renren
skype sharing button skype
snapchat sharing button snapchat
surfingbird sharing button surfingbird
telegram sharing button telegram
tumblr sharing button tumblr
twitter sharing button twitter
vk sharing button vk
wechat sharing button wechat
weibo sharing button weibo
whatsapp sharing button whatsapp
wordpress sharing button wordpress
xing sharing button xing
yahoomail sharing button yahoomail