• Monday, Aug 08, 2022
  • Last Update : 04:24 pm

Abrar murder case shifted to Metropolitan Sessions Judge Court, ready for trial

  • Published at 03:39 pm January 13th, 2020
File photo: CCTV camera shows Abrar Fahad being carried out by Tanim, Moaz and Jemy in hall premises Collected

Dhaka Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Court Judge Md Kaysarul Islam sent the case to the court Monday morning

All documents related to the case, including the charge sheet, have been shifted to the Metropolitan Sessions Judge Court in Dhaka, to facilitate the start of the trial in the case filed over the killing of Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET) student Abrar Fahad.

According to court sources, Dhaka Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Md Kaisarul Islam passed the order after scrutinizing the case dockets.

On January 5 this year, the same court ordered the publication of notices in national daily newspapers, asking four fugitives of the Abrar Fahad murder case to appear before the court on Monday. The police followed the court orders and published notices in national dailies, which were submitted to the court on Monday.

Metropolitan Magistrate Begum Yeasmin Ara passed the order on Sunday, after suspended BUET student Morshed Amartya Islam surrendered to the court and sought bail.

On behalf of the accused, defense counsel Imrul Hasan took part in the hearing and filed a bail petition before the court.

The three other fugitives accused in the case are Morsheduzzaman Jisan, Ehteshamul Rabbi Tanim and Muztaba Rafid.

However, the other 22 named in the charge sheet are currently in jail.

On November 13 last year, Detective Branch (DB) police Inspector Wahiduzzaman, the investigating officer (IO) of the case, submitted the charge sheet accusing 25 students of BUET, including the university unit Chhatra League General Secretary Mehedi Hasan Rasel, of the killing of fellow student Abrar[1] .

BUET students and university authorities found the lifeless body of Abrar - 22, and a second-year student in the EEE department of the university - on the first-floor staircase of Sher-e-Bangla Hall, and rushed him to Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH), where doctors declared him dead in the early hours of October 7.

Following the incident, Barkat Ullah, Abrar’s father, filed a case with Chawkbazar Police Station against 25 students and BCL leaders of the university unit.

The incident triggered widespread protests on campuses across the country. Many took to the streets and social media to demand justice for Abrar's murder.

Law enforcers suspect that Abrar was attacked because of one of his Facebook posts, which was critical of a few recent deals between Bangladesh and India.

Amid student protests, on October 11, BUET authorities banned all political activities on the campus and suspended 25 students, mostly leaders of the university’s BCL unit.