• Monday, Aug 08, 2022
  • Last Update : 04:24 pm

HC: Don't arrest or harass Prothom Alo editor, others

  • Published at 04:28 pm January 19th, 2020
High Court-HC-court
File photo of the High Court Dhaka Tribune

Hearing of bail petition on Monday

The High Court has ordered the law enforcement agencies to not arrest or harass six people, including Prothom Alo’s Editor Matiur Rahman, in a case filed over the death of a schoolboy during a program organized by a magazine published by the national daily in November last year.

The five others are youth magazine Kishor Alo’s Editor Anisul Hoque and Prothom Alo employees Kabir Bakul, Shuvashish Pramanik Shuvo, Md Mahitul Alam Pavel, and Shah Paran Tushar.

The bench of Justice Obaidul Hassan and Justice AKM Zahirul Huq issued the order yesterday, after the six accused — represented by Barrister M Amir-ul Islam — appeared before it seeking anticipatory bail.

The court also fixed Monday to hear the bail petitions, after ordering the law enforcement agencies not to arrest them — even though warrants were issued for the six and four others last week.

Earlier in the day, Matiur, Anisul, who is also the newspaper’s deputy editor, and the four others had filed their bail pleas with the High Court.

On January 16, a Dhaka court issued warrants of arrest against the 10 over the death of Nayeemul Abrar, a non-residential ninth grader in the school under Dhaka Residential Model College (DRMC).

Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Md Kaisarul Islam had given the order after Mohammadpur police station OC Abdul Alim, also the case investigation officer, submitted the investigation report.

The four other accused are: Jasim Uddin, Mosharraf Hossain, Sujan, and Kamrul Hawlader.

On November 1, Nayeemul was electrocuted by a power generator on DRMC premises, during Kishor Alo’s anniversary celebration organized by the youth magazine.

His father Md Mojibur Rahman later filed a case with a Dhaka court, accusing the organizers of negligence that led to Nayeemul’s death.

Mojibur alleged that the organizers took Nayeemul to Universal Medical College Hospital instead of the nearby Suhrawardy Medical College Hospital, denying him proper medical attention after the incident.

He also accused Kishor Alo and the school authorities of concealing the information of Nayeemul's death, and continuing the program despite the tragic incident.