• Wednesday, May 31, 2023
  • Last Update : 06:33 pm

Narayanganj mosque blast: Titas employees out on bail

  • Published at 07:13 pm September 21st, 2020
Aftermath of explosion causing a fatal fire at mosque in Narayanganj is seen in this picture taken on September 6, 2020 Md Manik/Dhaka Tribune

Death toll stands at 33

The eight officials and employees of Titas Gas Transmission and Distribution Co Ltd, who were arrested in connection with a case filed for a gas pipeline explosion at a Narayanganj mosque, were granted bail by a Narayanganj court.

Senior Judicial Magistrate Kawser Alam granted them bail on Monday, confirmed Md Asaduzzaman, the court’s police inspector.

The court granted bail to the Titas staff on a bond of Tk500 until further instructions are given, he added.

Those released on bail are Managing Engineer Md Sirajul Islam, Deputy Managing Engineer Mahmudur Rahman Rabbi, assistant engineers SM Hasan Shahriar and Manik Miah, Senior Supervisor Mojibur Rahman Chowdhury, Senior Development Worker Ayub Ali, Chief Assistant Ismail Pradhan, and Assistant Hanif Miah.

On Saturday, the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) of police arrested the eight employees of Titas. The CID sought a five day remand for interrogation, but the court only granted a two day remand for the eight people.

Also Read - ‘Titas was told countless times about the gas pipe, they didn't care’

On September 5, Sub-Inspector Humayun Kabir filed a case with Fatullah Model police station in Narayanganj on charges of "killings due to negligence," citing seven points, including negligence and carelessness on the part of Titas and the mosque committee.

On September 7, Titas issued two separate letters suspending eight of their personnel for negligence in duty. They also issued show cause notices.

The case was handed over to CID on September 10 for further investigation.

On September 4, over 50 people, including children, were injured in an explosion during Isha prayers at the Baitus Salat Jame Mosque in Narayanganj’s West Tolla area.

Till Sunday afternoon, the death toll from the explosion stood at 33. 

Three of the injured people — Kanchon, 24, Sifat, 18, and Amzad, 37 — are currently in intensive care.