• Tuesday, Feb 07, 2023
  • Last Update : 09:54 am

SC stays bail of PM Hasina's convoy attack case convicts

  • Published at 02:25 pm May 27th, 2021
Photo: Bigstock

The court also sent the matter for further hearing to the regular bench of the Appellate Division on May 30

The Appellate Division of the Supreme Court (SC) has stayed a High Court order that granted bail to seven people convicted and sentenced in a case lodged over the 2002 attack on the motorcade of then leader of the opposition and incumbent Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina in Satkhira.

Justice Hasan Foez Siddique of Appellate Division Chamber Judge Court passed the order after holding a hearing on a state plea against the High Court order. 

The court also sent the matter for further hearing to the regular bench of the Appellate Division on May 30.

The seven convicts are – Golam Rosul, Abdus Samad, Abdus Sattar, Johurul Islam, Rakib, Shahabuddin and Monirul Islam.

Attorney General AM Amin Uddin and Additional Attorney General SM Munir took part in the hearing for the state.

The High Court on May 25 allowed bail to the seven convicts after holding a hearing on separate petitions filed in this regard.

Also Read - Ex-BNP MP among 50 convicted of 2002 attack on Sheikh Hasina's convoy

Miscreants hurled bombs on the convoy of then leader of the opposition Sheikh Hasina and even shot at her as her motorcade reached in front of Kolaroa upazila BNP office in Satkhira on August 30, 2002. 

They vandalized a couple of vehicles of the convoy also.

Many people including leaders and activists of Awami League and newsmen accompanying the then leader of the opposition were injured in the attack.

On August 30, 2002, Sheikh Hasina, the then opposition leader, was returning to Magura after visiting a freedom fighter's wife in Satkhira when her convoy came under attack in Kalaroa upazila of the district.

Hasina survived the attack relatively unscathed but many Awami League leaders and workers were injured along with some journalists.

Kalaroa Mohammad Moslem Uddin, a freedom fighter, filed a case against 27 men for the attack which was later dismissed for not being recorded at the police station.

The case was reopened on October 15, 2014, and police pressed charges in court against 50 accused in this connection.

On May 17, 2015, inspector Sheikh Shafiqur Islam, also the investigation officer of the case, submitted charge sheet against 50 people in the case.

Facebook 50
blogger sharing button blogger
buffer sharing button buffer
diaspora sharing button diaspora
digg sharing button digg
douban sharing button douban
email sharing button email
evernote sharing button evernote
flipboard sharing button flipboard
pocket sharing button getpocket
github sharing button github
gmail sharing button gmail
googlebookmarks sharing button googlebookmarks
hackernews sharing button hackernews
instapaper sharing button instapaper
line sharing button line
linkedin sharing button linkedin
livejournal sharing button livejournal
mailru sharing button mailru
medium sharing button medium
meneame sharing button meneame
messenger sharing button messenger
odnoklassniki sharing button odnoklassniki
pinterest sharing button pinterest
print sharing button print
qzone sharing button qzone
reddit sharing button reddit
refind sharing button refind
renren sharing button renren
skype sharing button skype
snapchat sharing button snapchat
surfingbird sharing button surfingbird
telegram sharing button telegram
tumblr sharing button tumblr
twitter sharing button twitter
vk sharing button vk
wechat sharing button wechat
weibo sharing button weibo
whatsapp sharing button whatsapp
wordpress sharing button wordpress
xing sharing button xing
yahoomail sharing button yahoomail