• Saturday, Aug 13, 2022
  • Last Update : 04:24 pm

Chittagong court bomb attack: JMB’s Boma Mizan to die, another jailed for life

  • Published at 01:31 pm October 3rd, 2021
JMB leader Jabed Iqbal
Police escort JMB leader Jabed Iqbal to the Chittagong court premises on Sunday, October 3, 2021 Dhaka Tribune

The 2005 attack had killed two men and injured several others

A tribunal in Chittagong has sentenced a top leader of banned militant outfit Jamaat-ul-Mujahideen Bangladesh (JMB) to death and another to life imprisonment in a case over a bomb attack in the port city’s court premises in 2005.

The condemned convict is JMB member Jahidul Islam alias Boma Mizan, who was tried in absentia, and the lifer is Jabed Iqbal alias Mohammad, the commander of JMB’s Chittagong division wing.

Judge Abdul Halim of Chittagong Anti-Terrorism Special Tribunal handed down the verdict on Sunday.

Of the two convicts, Mizan is still on the run while Jabed is behind bars.

Jabed, who was present in court during the delivery of the verdict, was also fined Tk2 lakh, in default of which he will have to serve two more years in jail.

Public Prosecutor Manoranjan Das said: “We expected the death penalty for the two accused since we were able to prove the charges against them. However, the court gave one the death sentence and the other life imprisonment.”

Defence lawyer Mohammad Yunus said they were not happy with the verdict and would appeal to the High Court against it.

On February 13, 2014, some militants had snatched Mizan while he was being taken to Mymensingh from Gazipur’s Kashimpur jail. Since then, he has been on the run.

File photo of Jahidul Islam alias Boma Mizan  | Dhaka Tribune

Case details

According to the prosecution, police constable Rajib Barua and Shahabuddin, a footballer and justice seeker, were killed when militants hurled a bomb on a police check-post on the court premises on November 29, 2005.

Ten other people, including cops and pedestrians, were also injured in the attack.

Later in the day, the case was filed at Kotwali police station.

On May 18, 2006, police submitted a charge sheet against five people, including JMB chief Abdur Rahman, its second-in-command Siddiqur Rahman alias Bangla Bhai, its military commander Ataur Rahman Sunny, Boma Mizan and Jabed.

On April 16, 2007, the court framed charges against them.

However, the names of Abdur Rahman, Bangla Bhai and Sunny were dropped from the case as they were hanged in line with the verdict in another case.

In 2018, the case was shifted to the Anti-Terrorism Special Tribunal.

After examining the records and testimony of 32 witnesses, the tribunal delivered the verdict on Sunday.