• Thursday, Aug 18, 2022
  • Last Update : 04:24 pm

Family ‘unaware’ of Gulshan attack coordinator Sagor’s militant activities

  • Published at 03:40 pm March 24th, 2018
Family ‘unaware’ of Gulshan attack coordinator Sagor’s militant activities
The family of Hadisur Rahman Sagor claims to have no knowledge about the activities of the suspected New JMB member, who is also alleged to be one of the main coordinators, weapons supplier and financiers of the deadliest terror attack in Bangladesh’s history. They say Sagor left the house in 2014 and had been traceless since. They filed a complaint with police on December 31, 2016. But police say Sagor’s family did not contact them on their own. Police arrested two suspected members of New JMB from Kichak in Bogra’s Shibganj upazila on March 21. One of them is Akram Hossain Khan Niloy, 24, from Kishoreganj’s Mithamain upazila. The other is Sagor, 36, from Kadoa Koyrapara village under Joypurhat’s sadar upazila. Police claim that Sagor is one of the main coordinators and firearms suppliers for the Gulshan terror attack. Niloy, they claim, is the chief coordinator of New JMB and its financier. Niloy was planning to carry out a large-scale attack on Dhanmondi 32. Residents of Sagor’s village said they were unaware that he was involved in militant activities until he was arrested. They said they learned about Sagor’s activities from TV reports.
Also Read- ‘Arms supplier’ of Holey Artisan, ‘planner’ of Panthapoth bomb attacker arrested
Sagor’s family lives in a mud hut. He is the second of five siblings. His elder brother Habibur Rahman, 35, works as a labourer in Dhaka while his younger brother Arifur Rahman works at Chittagong ship breaking yard. His two sisters are married. Sagor’s mother Asia Begum said her son had gotten married in Pabna and never visited them. She said she filed a general diary with Joypurhat sadar police after he had gone missing. His father Harunur Rashid, a village doctor, claims that Sagor had gotten admitted to Baniapara Kamil Madrasa after clearing Dakhil tests from Koyrapara Madrasa. But he left for Dhaka without completing his Amil. Since then, his family knew that he was working in Dhaka. Sagor neither sent his family money nor visited them often. Rashid said his son had come home once about four years ago. “He got really angry when we were talking about him not sending any money home and left the village. Since then he has been traceless. “In December 2016, my wife filed a GD,” he said. Asia said police had previously interrogated them about Sagor. “We have since been under surveillance,” she added. Sagor’s aunt Babita Khatun said he did not interact much with others but offered prayers regularly. “We were stunned after learning about his arrest. We had no idea that he was a big shot militant,” she said. Azizul, a resident of Kadoa Koyrapara village, said Sagor was known as Hadisur in his village. He described Sagor’s parents as “very ordinary” people. Joypurhat’s acting police Chief Belayet Hossain said they were looking into the area’s missing people since before the Holey Artisan attack. “We learned that one Hadisur Rahman Sagor had been absent from his area for a long time. We called in his father for questioning and learned that he had been missing since 2014 but they did not inform police. “His family was not so worried over their missing member. We were actively looking for him but could not find him as he did not visit his locality,” he said. “We got confirmation from police’s Counter Terrorism and Transnational Crime Unit that Sagor was involved with militancy,” Belayet said. “From militants arrested at various times, we learned that he was acting as the chief military commander of New JMB’s members in Rajshahi, Khulna and Kushtia.”