Total 20 projects involving Tk32,525 crore approved
The Executive Committee of the National Economic Council (Ecnec) approved 20 development projects involving Tk32,525 crore including one to boost the country's urea production on Tuesday.
The approval was given at the 146th Ecnec meeting held at the National Economic Council (NEC) conference room in the capital with Ecnec Chairperson and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina in the chair, reports UNB.
Planning Minister AHM Mustafa Kamal after the meeting said: "On Tuesday, we placed 20 projects at the meeting and Ecnec approved all of them."
"The total estimated cost of the 20 projects is Tk32,524.90 crore. Of the cost, Tk15,494.37 crore will come from government funds, while Tk11,656.27 crore from the funds of the organizations concerned and Tk5,374.26 crore as foreign assistance," he said.
Of the 20 projects, 14 are new and the rest are revised ones.
About the GDP growth, the Planning Minister expressed hope that it may reach around 8.25% in the current fiscal year.
Under the Tk10,461-crore Ghorashal Urea Fertiliser Project, a new urea factory will be set up in Ghorashal with a production capacity of 9,24,000 tons per year. Currently, two factories in Ghorashal and Palash are annually producing 3,15,000 tons.
About the project, the minister said the Bangladesh Chemical Industries Corporation (BCIC) will, by June 2022 , implement the setting up of a granular urea factory adjacent to the existing Ghorshal and Palash Urea Fertilizer factories in Narsingdi with a daily production capacity of 2,800 tons.
Of the project cost, Tk1,844.19 crore will come from the government fund while the rest Tk8,616.72 crore from bidders.
The new urea factory will be set up aiming to meet the growing demand of fertilizer and thus ensure food security in the country.
According to the project factsheet, now the daily production capacity of two existing Ghorashal and Palash fertilizer factories has come down to 1,050 tons as most of the machinery of the two factories has become dilapidated.
The countrywide annual demand of urea is in between 2.6 to 3 million tons, but six fertilizer factories run under the BCIC can produce roughly 9,00,000 to 1 million tons.
The Ecnec also cleared a project involving Tk2,861.31 crore for transporting fuel from Chittagong to Dhaka by installing pipeline.
Bangladesh Petroleum Corporation (BPC) will implement the 'Fuel Transportation via Pipeline from Chittagong to Dhaka Project' by December 2020 aiming to save time and cost, and reduce system loss in the fuel transportation.
The 18 other projects include:
- Cross-Border Road Network Improvement Project (Bangladesh) (1st revised) at an estimated cost of Tk3,684.55 crore
- Rural Connectivity Improvement Project (LGED Part) at Tk3,667.42 crore
- Construction, Renovation and Development of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Killa at Tk1,957.49 crore
- Establishment of New Campus for Jagannath University: Land Acquisition and Development at Tk1,920.94 crore
- Flood Control, Road Cum Embankment Protection and Drainage for the Bangladesh Economic Zone at Mirsarai in Chittagong (1st revised) Project at Tk1,657.43 crore
- Emergency Assistance Project-BREB portion (Electrification for the Forcibly Displaced Myanmar nationals taking shelter in Cox's Bazar) estimated at Tk104.44 crore
- Bangladesh: Emergency Assistance Project (LGED) portion with Tk297.30 crore
- Ground Level Heightening, Wave Protection, and Embankment Protection Works of Mithamain Army Establishment in the Mithamain upazila of Kishoreganj at Tk304.95 crore
- Protection of both embankments of Karnaphuli and Ichamati Rivers, Shilok canal and other canals under the Rangunia, Boalkhali and Kaptai upazilas at Tk398.91 crore
- Protection of the right embankment of Gangachhara River in the Rangpur district and Teesta River in the Rangpur Sadar upazila (1st revised) at Tk168.84 crore.
- Upgrading Gobindaganj-Ghoraghat- Birampur-Fulbari-Dinajpur Regional Highway estimated at Tk882.91 crore
- Developing the Cox's Bazar-Teknaf Road at Tk458.32 crore
- Development and Rehabilitation of Important and Affected Roads under the Khulna City Corporation at Tk607.57 crore
- Establishment of Fire Service and Civil Defence Station at 25 important upazila Sadars/Places (2nd revised) at Tk419.37 crore
- Establishment of Shaheed M Mansur Ali Medical College and 500-bed Medical College Hospital in Sirajganj (1st revised) at Tk883.53 crore
- Extending Infrastructural Facilities of 12 Existing Cadet Colleges in the Country at Tk428.54 crore
- Rural Infrastructure Development (Comilla, Brahmanbaria and Chandpur districts) (2nd revised)at Tk769.42 crore
- Construction of the Kodamrasul Bridge over the Shitalakhya River under the Narayanganj City Corporation at Tk 590.75 crore
Leave a Comment