At least 80 tin-shed shanties were gutted in a fire that broke out in a Hazaribagh area in Dhaka Tuesday morning.
However, there have been no reports of casualties in the incident, Fire Service and Civil Defence control room told the Dhaka Tribune.
Fire Service Inspector Palash Chandra Modok said: “The fire broke out at Kalunagar Miah Bari slum around 3:30am. It originated from an electric short circuit in one of the houses.”
On receiving information, five fire fighters' units went to the slum and doused the fire by 5:30am, he added.
The fire caused Tk10 lakh worth of damage, the inspector said. “But fire fighters were able to save valuables worth Tk20 lakh from the slum.”