• Saturday, Aug 13, 2022
  • Last Update : 04:24 pm

Fire at Shahjalal originated from Air India office

  • Published at 02:21 pm August 11th, 2017
  • Last updated at 05:52 pm August 11th, 2017
Fire at Shahjalal originated from Air India office
A fire that broke out at the main building of Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport in Dhaka was doused after nearly two hours of effort. A Bangladesh Biman staff who wished to remain anonymous said the fire had began at the Air India office on the second floor. An Air India official told the Press Trust of India the same. The fire broke out around 1:37pm on Friday. Passengers and staff were evacuated from the building and the electric supply was cut. International flights at the airport were delayed by one to two hours, sources from various airlines told the Dhaka Tribune. Fire Service Headquarters duty officer Polash Chandra Modok said 10 firefighting units worked to douse the blaze. “The reason behind the fire is yet to be confirmed. No casualty has been reported yet,” he said. At 4pm, Fire Service duty officer Mizanur Rahman said that the fire had been brought under control around 3:15pm. Normal activities had resumed at the airport but there may be some delays, Shahjalal Airport Director Kazi Iqbal Karim told the Bangla Tribune. APBN Senior Assistant Superintendent of Police Aftab Uddin said: “Some hajj pilgrims are inside the airport. Some flights might be delayed or cancelled due the incident.” Mahfuzur Rahman, marketing manager at Novoair, said there were no flight disruptions for domestic flights but some international flights may be hampered. "We have a Dhaka-Kolkata flight at 5.30pm. Airlines management is fully prepared to launch the flight on time. We are waiting for green signal from the airport authority," he said. Requesting anonymity, an official of Armed Police Battalion (APBn) the Dhaka Tribune the fire might have originated from electric short circuit. Some airlines offices are situated on the floor where the fire broke out.

Probe committees formed

Fire Service and Civil Defence Director (operation and maintenance) Shakil Nawaj said cause of the fire would be determined through investigation. The Fire Service had formed a three-member probe committee led by Deputy Director Debasis Bardhwan to investigate the fire. "They will submit a report in seven working days," he said. Air Commodore Mostafizur Rahman, member (planning and operation) of Civil Aviation Authority of Bangladesh (CAAB), told the Dhaka Tribune that there were no flight disruptions becaue of the fire incident. "All flights departed and landed at the airport as per schedule," he said. CAAB has formed a three member investigation committee on how the fire broke out at an airlines office and will submit a report within seven days, he added.