• Tuesday, Jun 28, 2022
  • Last Update : 04:24 pm

'Removal of Hazaribagh tannery cut Buriganga pollution by 40%'

  • Published at 03:32 pm September 23rd, 2017
  • Last updated at 09:48 pm September 23rd, 2017
'Removal of Hazaribagh tannery cut Buriganga pollution by 40%'
Water Resources Minister Anisul Islam Mahmud has said that pollution of the Buriganga river has been reduced by about 40% due to the removal of the leather industry from the city’s Hazaribagh area. He said: “The removal of Hazaribagh tannery has reduced pollution of the Buriganga by 40%. Now, we have to stop the other 60% of pollution.” The minister made the comment at a rally that started from Bahadur Shah Park and ended at Sadarghat on Saturday. The event was organised to mark World Rivers Day, which will be observed on Sunday. Dhaka Water Supply and Sewerage Authority (DWASA) has been asked to prevent pollution and remove wastes from the river, the minister said, adding that they have already prepared a work plan in this regard. “We have to take such measures so that industrial and household waste does not drain into the river,” he said. The theme of this year’s World Rivers Day is “Encroachment-pollution free rivers: Save Life and Nature”. Speakers at the programme vowed to protect the rivers and build awareness among the people against pollution and encroachment. World Rivers Day Coordination Council (WRDCC) read out five proposals and five promises at the programme. Since 2010, Bangladesh has been observing World Rivers Day on the last Sunday of September every year.
50
Facebook 50
blogger sharing button blogger
buffer sharing button buffer
diaspora sharing button diaspora
digg sharing button digg
douban sharing button douban
email sharing button email
evernote sharing button evernote
flipboard sharing button flipboard
pocket sharing button getpocket
github sharing button github
gmail sharing button gmail
googlebookmarks sharing button googlebookmarks
hackernews sharing button hackernews
instapaper sharing button instapaper
line sharing button line
linkedin sharing button linkedin
livejournal sharing button livejournal
mailru sharing button mailru
medium sharing button medium
meneame sharing button meneame
messenger sharing button messenger
odnoklassniki sharing button odnoklassniki
pinterest sharing button pinterest
print sharing button print
qzone sharing button qzone
reddit sharing button reddit
refind sharing button refind
renren sharing button renren
skype sharing button skype
snapchat sharing button snapchat
surfingbird sharing button surfingbird
telegram sharing button telegram
tumblr sharing button tumblr
twitter sharing button twitter
vk sharing button vk
wechat sharing button wechat
weibo sharing button weibo
whatsapp sharing button whatsapp
wordpress sharing button wordpress
xing sharing button xing
yahoomail sharing button yahoomail