• Tuesday, Nov 29, 2022
  • Last Update : 10:24 am

Woman caught between buses, left with shattered spine

  • Published at 04:36 pm April 6th, 2018
Woman caught between buses, left with shattered spine
Amid widespread outrage and criticism over a youth losing an arm caught between two buses in Dhaka, a woman has been left with a shattered spine in a similar incident in the New Market area. Ayesha Khatun, 25, who is now paralyzed from the waist down, is currently undergoing treatment at the city’s Labaid Specialized Hospital in critical condition, said her husband Tanvir Ahmed Taher. The tragic incident took place in front of Chandrima Super Market, around 7am on Thursday, according to witnesses and Tanvir. New Market police have arrested one of the drivers of the two Bikash Paribahan buses afterwards, and impounded the vehicles. Tanvir said Ayesha and their daughter Ahnad had left home that morning for the latter’s school in Dhanmondi. “Their rickshaw was crossing Chandrima Super Market when two Bikash Paribahan buses tried overtaking it from both sides and ended up crushing the rickshaw along with my wife and daughter and the rickshaw-puller.” Ayesha was severely wounded while Ahnad and the rickshaw-puller received minor injuries, he said. Tanvir said some bystanders rushed the trio to the hospital, from where he was informed. “When my mother-in-law and I arrived at the hospital, the doctors said two bones of Ayesha’s vertebral column near the pelvis were completely shattered.” “She is paralyzed from the waist down even after undergoing a major surgery. She will not be able to walk again,” said the grief-stricken husband, who later filed a case with New Market police over the incident. New Market police Sub-Inspector Md Ali said they were looking to arrest the driver of the second bus. On April 3, Government Titumir College student Rajib Hossain lost his right hand on the spot when a Swajan Paribahan bus, trying to make its way through vehicles stuck at a traffic signal, hit a BRTC double-decker bus from the side near the Saarc Fountain intersection at Karwan Bazar. Rajib was immediately taken to Samorita Hospital on Panthapath, but doctors could not reattach his hand. He had also received head injuries. Still not out of danger according to doctors, Rajib is currently undergoing treatment at Dhaka Medical College Hospital.
Facebook 50
blogger sharing button blogger
buffer sharing button buffer
diaspora sharing button diaspora
digg sharing button digg
douban sharing button douban
email sharing button email
evernote sharing button evernote
flipboard sharing button flipboard
pocket sharing button getpocket
github sharing button github
gmail sharing button gmail
googlebookmarks sharing button googlebookmarks
hackernews sharing button hackernews
instapaper sharing button instapaper
line sharing button line
linkedin sharing button linkedin
livejournal sharing button livejournal
mailru sharing button mailru
medium sharing button medium
meneame sharing button meneame
messenger sharing button messenger
odnoklassniki sharing button odnoklassniki
pinterest sharing button pinterest
print sharing button print
qzone sharing button qzone
reddit sharing button reddit
refind sharing button refind
renren sharing button renren
skype sharing button skype
snapchat sharing button snapchat
surfingbird sharing button surfingbird
telegram sharing button telegram
tumblr sharing button tumblr
twitter sharing button twitter
vk sharing button vk
wechat sharing button wechat
weibo sharing button weibo
whatsapp sharing button whatsapp
wordpress sharing button wordpress
xing sharing button xing
yahoomail sharing button yahoomail