• Thursday, Dec 01, 2022
  • Last Update : 09:54 am

Who are the top five plastic polluters in the world?

  • Published at 12:04 pm November 14th, 2019
plastic polltution-students protest mehedi
Photo: Mehedi Hasan/Dhaka Tribune

The major plastic polluters failed to manage their plastic wastes effectively

A brand audit report by Break Free from Plastic (BFFP) movement have identified Coca-Cola, Unilever, Nestlé, PepsiCo, and Mondelēz International as the top five plastic polluters in the world.

As part of Global Week of Action against single use plastic, Environment and Social Development Organization (ESDO), a partner organization of BFFP movement in Bangladesh, revealed the information through a press release in a human chain in front of National Press Club on Thursday.

More than 100 girl scouts and ESDO team members also joined this human chain.

According to the release, ESDO said the plastic pollution crisis seemed to grow day after day. The major plastic polluters failed to manage their plastic wastes effectively.

On the occasion of World Cleanup Day on September 21, 2019, individuals and organizations around the world mobilized their communities to conduct clean-up brand audits in order to hold these corporations accountable for the extensive use of single-use and throw-away plastic packaging in their products.


Also Read- Plastic is a problem


About 72,541 volunteers in 51 countries conducted 484 cleanup events, and collected a total of 476,423 pieces of plastic waste around the world. 

Names of brands or companies were found in 43% of these wastes, whereas the brand names of the remaining 57% could not be identified. Based on these names, Coca Cola was identified as the top polluter while Unilever scored the second position worldwide.

BFFP is an international movement envisioning a future free from plastic pollution. Since its launch in September 2016, nearly 1,500 organizations from across the world have joined the movement to demand massive reductions in single-use plastics and to push for lasting solutions to the plastic pollution crisis.

The movement aims to reduce plastic waste by pressurizing companies through staging demonstrations globally against the top plastic polluters.

Plastic pollution occurs as plastic particles and objects stockpile on the Earth's surface and severely afflict land, waterways and oceans, including wildlife and plants. Plastic pollution is a very real and growing threat to human health and environment.

The chemical structure of most plastics renders them resistant to many natural processes of degradation and as a result they disintegrate easily. 

50
Facebook 50
blogger sharing button blogger
buffer sharing button buffer
diaspora sharing button diaspora
digg sharing button digg
douban sharing button douban
email sharing button email
evernote sharing button evernote
flipboard sharing button flipboard
pocket sharing button getpocket
github sharing button github
gmail sharing button gmail
googlebookmarks sharing button googlebookmarks
hackernews sharing button hackernews
instapaper sharing button instapaper
line sharing button line
linkedin sharing button linkedin
livejournal sharing button livejournal
mailru sharing button mailru
medium sharing button medium
meneame sharing button meneame
messenger sharing button messenger
odnoklassniki sharing button odnoklassniki
pinterest sharing button pinterest
print sharing button print
qzone sharing button qzone
reddit sharing button reddit
refind sharing button refind
renren sharing button renren
skype sharing button skype
snapchat sharing button snapchat
surfingbird sharing button surfingbird
telegram sharing button telegram
tumblr sharing button tumblr
twitter sharing button twitter
vk sharing button vk
wechat sharing button wechat
weibo sharing button weibo
whatsapp sharing button whatsapp
wordpress sharing button wordpress
xing sharing button xing
yahoomail sharing button yahoomail