• Sunday, Sep 25, 2022
  • Last Update : 10:24 am

Tazreen Fire Tragedy: Survivor dies after 8 years of struggle

  • Published at 02:11 pm November 25th, 2020
Sharmin Akter
Sharmin Akter Collected

She had been suffering from illness for 8 long years due to lack of treatment, says her family

Sharmin Akther, a worker who was injured in the fire at Tazreen Fashion factory in Ashulia’s Nischintapur neighbourhood under Savar upazila on November 24, 2012, breathed her last on Wednesday.

Sharmin died at her grandfather's house in Tanpara area of Ashulia around 9:30am, confirmed by her family and local workers’ leaders.

Sharmin is survived by her husband and two sons. She used to work as a sewing machine operator at Tazreen Fashion.

She had been suffering from illness for eight long years due to lack of treatment, said her family.

Nasima Akter, Sharmin’s former coworker at Tazreen and an eyewitness of the fire, said they worked on the third floor of the factory. “After the fire broke out on November 24, the floor was engulfed in smoke. Sharmin fell ill then and had been ill ever since.”

Rakibul Islam, president of the Savar-Ashulia unit of Bangladesh Garments Tailors Workers League, said: “She had been ill since the accident. She did not receive any treatment, nor did she get any assistance or cooperation.”

Also Read- Tazreen Fire Tragedy: 8 years on, workers of the garment factory still refused jobs

Arbindu Bepari, president of the Garment Workers' Federation, said: "It is very sad that we have lost one more sister of Tazreen today. She died due to lack of medical treatment and financial crisis.

“Why did this worker have to die without receiving treatment? We want an answer from the factory owner and BGMEA (Bangladesh Garment Manufacturers and Exporters Association).”

What happened 8 years ago

On November 24, 2012, the deadliest factory fire in the nation’s history broke out in Ashulia, on the outskirts of Dhaka, killing at least 112 people and leaving over 200 injured.

The blaze was believed to have been caused by a short circuit. Workers were trapped inside the building as all exit routes were locked.

There was only one route — through the windows on the upper floors of that nine-storey building since the windows on the lower floors were blocked.

Workers who got stuck inside and couldn’t escape were killed by the fire and smoke.

Meanwhile, even those who escaped — by jumping from the windows of the third and fourth floors — sustained serious back and head injuries, which left many of them with constant and nagging pain.

Facebook 50
blogger sharing button blogger
buffer sharing button buffer
diaspora sharing button diaspora
digg sharing button digg
douban sharing button douban
email sharing button email
evernote sharing button evernote
flipboard sharing button flipboard
pocket sharing button getpocket
github sharing button github
gmail sharing button gmail
googlebookmarks sharing button googlebookmarks
hackernews sharing button hackernews
instapaper sharing button instapaper
line sharing button line
linkedin sharing button linkedin
livejournal sharing button livejournal
mailru sharing button mailru
medium sharing button medium
meneame sharing button meneame
messenger sharing button messenger
odnoklassniki sharing button odnoklassniki
pinterest sharing button pinterest
print sharing button print
qzone sharing button qzone
reddit sharing button reddit
refind sharing button refind
renren sharing button renren
skype sharing button skype
snapchat sharing button snapchat
surfingbird sharing button surfingbird
telegram sharing button telegram
tumblr sharing button tumblr
twitter sharing button twitter
vk sharing button vk
wechat sharing button wechat
weibo sharing button weibo
whatsapp sharing button whatsapp
wordpress sharing button wordpress
xing sharing button xing
yahoomail sharing button yahoomail