Probe committee is collecting evidence from the three-storey wreckage
The heavily damaged building, caused by explosion, at Moghbazar may collapse any time, fire service and civil defence official said on Monday.
“It is not possible to use the building any more due to the Sunday’s explosion,” Fire Service and Civil Defence Director (Operation) Lt Col Zillur Rahman told reporters after visiting the spot.
He said the blast damaged the building heavily.
“The building owner has to decide whether he will demolish it. None should enter the building for the sake of safety,” Zillur said.
Zillur, also head of the probe committee formed by fire service, said their teams are collecting evidence from the three-storey wreckage and taking statements of witnesses, the injured and owners of business outlets at the site.
Also Read - Moghbazar explosion: IGP smells methane gas, refuses to draw conclusion
Earlier in the day, Inspector General of Police (IGP) Benazir Ahmed said he suspects that the blast may have been caused by methane gas.
However, no conclusion can be drawn yet before a full investigation, he added.
On Sunday evening, the massive explosion had rocked the Moghbazar area, killing at least seven people and injuring at least 50 others.
Also Read - Massive explosion in Moghbazar kills 7, injures 50
The explosion took place near lifestyle retail chain Aarong's Moghbazar showroom. It also caused massive damage to the establishments nearby.
Fire Service later at night launched an investigation into the incident. The committee was asked to submit its findings within seven working days.
Earlier, Fire Service Director General Brig Gen Md Sazzad Hussain had suspected gas leakage as the most possible cause of the blast.
Leave a Comment