Leak in gas cylinder caused the accident, says family member
Five members of a family sustained burn injuries in a fire triggered by a leak in cooking gas cylinder in their house in Keraniganj, Dhaka on Thursday night.
The injured have been identified as Raju Ahmed, 28, his five-year-old and three-year-old daughters, his sister Sharmin Akter, 24, and his cousin Habibur Rahman Habib, 19.
The accident happened at around 7:30pm in Bhir Baghoir area of the upazila.
“Raju was preparing food for dinner when a leakage from the cylinder led to the fire," Raju’s uncle and Habibur’s father Motaleb said.
The injured are admitted at Sheikh Hasina National Institute of Burn and Plastic Surgery for treatment.
“All are in a critical condition,” said Dr Partha Shankar Paul, resident doctor at the burn institute. "While both Raju and Habibur suffered 30% burns, Raju’s eldest daughter has 26%, youngest daughter has 46%, and Sharmin has 10% burns.”