The agitating students of BracU have withdrawn the weeklong movement against the university authorities as the vice chancellor has accepted their demands and reinstated the terminated School of Law lecturer in his position.
An announcement signed by VC Prof Syed Saad Andaleeb, posted on the university website on Saturday, said that the administration has accepted Registrar Muhammad Sahool Afzal’s application of long leave and the resignation letters of Assistant Registrar Md Mahi Uddin and Senior Officer Jabed Rasel, to be effective from August 6, 2017.
“BRAC University has withdrawn the letter of termination of service issued to Mr Farhaan Uddin Ahmed as lecturer, School of Law,” the announcement said.
“A student has filed a complaint regarding an alleged assault on female students by security guards. The appropriate BRAC University committee has started working on it,” it further said.
Also Read - Brac University protests: Probe finally underway
When contacted by Dhaka Tribune, the vice chancellor was unavailable for comment, despite several attempted phone calls by this correspondent as of filing of this report.
However, the university authorities have posted a video of an official statement he made on Saturday evening to the BracU official Facebook page, reiterating the announcement made earlier in the day.
Meanwhile, the agitating students expressed satisfaction over the decision of the authorities and withdrew the movement, which began on July 30 over the alleged assault of Farhaan by the registrar and two other officials.
“We are happy to hear the authorities have accepted our demands and reinstated our teacher, Farhaan, to his position. At this time, we are preparing to sit for our exams, which are scheduled to begin from tomorrow,” a law department student told the Dhaka Tribune.
“We also expect the committees to continue their investigation into the assault on female students and the authorities to take action following the report,” she added.
Also Read - BracU students accept probe committee; protest to continue
Farhaan has said he learned of the development from the university website.
However, he has not been officially notified of anything as of yet, he added.
"I am not sure which letter of termination has been withdrawn, the issued one on 26th July, 2017 or the one issued on 30th July, 2017? Should I remain away from campus, pending the final report of the Inquiry Committee? My Zimbra email and USIS account are still blocked,” Farhaan wrote on his Facebook wall.