The fellowship exposes future leaders and policymakers to US society, culture, and professional fields to develop lasting and productive ties with the US
The Hubert H Humphrey Fellowship hosted by the US Embassy calls all mid-career professionals passionate about making a difference in Bangladesh. The competitive fellowship application is open for the 2022-2023 academic year for professionals in either the private or public sector who are dedicated to public service.
Named after the late senator and vice president, the fellowship was created in 1978 to honor his memory and accomplishments. The Humphrey Fellowship is a part of the prestigious Fulbright program by the US government, offering the unique experience of bringing fellows to the US for a year of non-degree, graduate-level study, leadership development, and professional collaboration with US counterparts.
The fellowship covers all tuition and fees at the prestigious academic program and includes a monthly stipend, insurance coverage, an allowance for books and supplies, roundtrip international airfare, supplementary funds for professional activities such as field trips and conferences, and paid internship expenses.
The fellowship exposes future leaders and policymakers to US society, culture, and professional fields to develop lasting and productive ties with the US.
The program has made a lasting impact on fellows, who have channeled their experiences for the wellbeing of Bangladesh. Here are just a few of their testimonials and accomplishments:
Applicants must meet the following criteria to be eligible for the fellowship program:
1.Be a Bangladeshi citizen and residing in Bangladesh at the time of the application and the selection process.
2. Not be a dual (Bangladesh & US) citizen or a US permanent resident.
3. Be a young, mid-career professional in a leadership position who has demonstrated a commitment to public service and the potential for professional advancement.
4. Cannot be a recent university graduate.
5.Have completed a university degree program requiring at least four years of full-time study.
6. Should have a minimum of five years full-time professional experience (prior to August 2022) in the relevant field, after completing a university degree, and should be interested in the policy aspects of their field of specialization.
7. Cannot be university teachers or academic researchers with no management responsibilities (except in the fields of Substance Abuse Education, Prevention, and Treatment and Teaching of English as a Foreign Language).
8. Cannot have attended a graduate school in the United States for one academic year or more seven years prior to August 2022.
9. Cannot have US experience of any kind lasting more than six months during the five years prior to August 2022.
10. Be proficient in both written and spoken English and should normally have a minimum TOEFL score of 525 (paper-based) or 71 (internet-based). Candidates who do not have a valid TOEFL score must sit for the TOEFL exam after the selection process. (The American Center will arrange the TOEFL exam for selected candidates only. Exceptionally promising candidates with lower scores may be nominated for the Long-Term English (LTE) training.)
11. Should demonstrate the required experience, skills, and commitment while also indicating how they can benefit from this program in ways that they have not experienced previously and are not likely to experience without the Humphrey Program.
12. Be in good health; successful candidates will be requested to complete a medical examination.
13. Return to Bangladesh upon completion of the program.
The application is done online and requires applicants to create an IIE account here. The application deadline is July 3, 2021.
Within the online application platform, applicants can save and return to their submission, and answer the required essay questions within given word limits. Upon submission, applicants cannot further edit submissions, so the program encourages applicants to double-check the requirements and their work before submitting. Applicants must submit a complete application with required documentation to be considered.
For more information about the program visit here.
For further information, please contact Professional Exchanges Program Manager, Ms. Syeda Kashfi Chowdhury at [email protected].