Three members of a family sustained burn injuries after a gas cylinder exploded on the first floor of a six-storey building at Kusumbag area in Chittagong.
According to Chittagong Fire Service, the blast took place around 11:35am on Thursday.
The injured were rushed to Chittagong Medical College Hospital. Assistant Professor Dr Mohammed S Khaled of the CMCH Burn & Plastic Surgery Unit told the Dhaka Tribune they were admitted to the burn unit.
The mother, Tanjira Akhtar, 35 received 80% burn injuries all over her body while her eight-year-old son, Tanjib, sustained 35% injuries. The 11-year-old daughter, Tanjina, sustained 15% burn injuries.
“The condition of the mother is very critical as 80% burn injuries might cause septicemia, an infection resulting from the presence of bacteria in the blood. Any patient receiving critical burn injuries must undergo treatment at the Intensive Care Unit (ICU). However, the CMCH lacks the ICU facilities for burn patients. The trio is now going to Dhaka for better treatment,” added the doctor.
According to Assistant Sub-Inspector Alauddin Talukdar of CMCH police outpost, the blast occurred in the house rented by Mehedi Hasan, Tanjira's husband, and father to the two children.