Another of the grocers in the shop was rescued by the fire service rescue team
A person has died in Cox’s Bazar’s Chakaria after a fire gutted two shops.
The incident took place at the upazila’s Kakara union’s Ward 1 Hajian area, around 5am, on Monday.
The deceased was identified as Shahidul Islam, Raihan, 22, a local grocer.
Chakaria Fire Service and civil Defence official GM Mohiuddin has confirmed the news.
The official said: “Two shops were completely burnt in the fire, Shahidul died and the other grocer, Shamim Osman, was able to escape in time due to the fire service rescue team.”
Deputy Director of the Upazila Fire Service Abdul Malek said: “The fire may have been caused due to a short-circuit inside the shop. There was about Tk3 lakh’s-worth of damage to both the shops. The body has been handed over to Chakaria police station.”