• Monday, Aug 08, 2022
  • Last Update : 04:24 pm

New Zealand terror attack: Family worried for Zakaria Bhuiyan

  • Published at 11:32 pm March 16th, 2019
Zakaria Bhuiyan_New Zealand
Family members of Zakaria Bhuiyan, reportedly one of the victims of New Zealand terror attack, react at their home on Saturday in Narsingdi’s Palash upazila Dhaka Tribune

State Minister for Foreign Affairs Shahriar Alam on Saturday declared Zakaria Bhuiyan  missing, and two others

Family members are worried sick over the disappearance of Zakaria Bhuiyan, reportedly one of the victims in the recent Christchurch terror attack at the Al Noor Mosque on Friday.

Family members are saying that they had identified Zakaria being shot twice in the livestream of the terrorist attack and followed it up with contacts there.

They have confirmed Zakaria’s death as it also did not appear on the list of those who were injured.

However, on Saturday, State Minister for Foreign Affairs, Shahriar Alam, declared Zakaria Bhuiya missing, and two others.

The New Zealand government is yet to publish the names of all those who died.

The victim’s family members and relatives were heartbroken and mourning, as neighbours came together to offer their condolences.

The deceased’s father, Abdul Baten Bhuiyan, said: “I want to take a last look at my son and for that I ask the government that his body be brought back home soon.”

Zakaria Bhuiyan, was the fourth child of two brothers and three sisters, hailing from Joypura village in Narsingdi’s Palash upazila.  

Zakaria, the Bangladeshi expatriate in New Zealand, wase working for a private company, had recently married in Bangladesh, and was planning to take his wife to New Zealand.  

A gunman shot dead 49 people and wounded more than 40 at two Christchurch mosques on Friday, live-streaming some of the killings that New Zealand Prime Minister, Jacinda Ardern, condemned as an act of terror.

On Saturday, Minister for Foreign Affairs, Shahriar Alam, speaking at a program confirmed the death of two Bangladeshis, five who were injured, and three who are still missing.