• Friday, Dec 02, 2022
  • Last Update : 10:24 am

Nusrat murder: Evidence of police negligence found

  • Published at 04:34 pm April 18th, 2019
Deputy Inspector General of police Md Ruhul Amin speaking to the reporters on Thursday, April 18, 2019 Dhaka Tribune

DIG Ruhul Amin said the investigation will take several more days to wrap up as investigators are examining various documents

A probe team tasked to look into allegations of police negligence in Feni madrasa student Nusrat Jahan Rafi’s murder, has found evidence against the police.

Deputy Inspector General Md Ruhul Amin at police headquarters, who heads the probe committee, said: “We have found preliminary evidence against the former officer-in-charge of Sonagazi police station and senior police officers. We are taking this very seriously and are looking into it.

“But, had the local administration and madrasa managing committee taken action when the sexual harassment was first reported, this tragedy could have been avoided.”

DIG Ruhul Amin said the investigation will take several more days to wrap up as investigators are examining various documents.

He said Sirajuddaula, the madrasa principal, had a history of condemnable behaviour that was known to the madrasa governing body. The police officer also notably stressed the involvement of political figures in the murder.

The DIG was with four other police officers who formed the probe committee. They visited the madrasa and Nusrat’s home. They spoke to madrasa staff and students, and Nusrat’s family.

Three days after the Police Bureau of Investigation (PBI) assumed responsibility of the case, PBI Chief, Banaj Kumar Majumdar, submitted a report to the inspector general of police, noting negligence on the part of police and local administration.

Nusrat was set on fire on April 6, refusing to withdraw a case her family filed last month against Sirajuddaula for sexually harassing and assaulting her.

After she was set on fire, her family filed another case against eight people, including Sirajuddaula, on April 8.

The 18-year-old girl died at Dhaka Medical College Hospital on April 10, after five days in treatment.

Facebook 50
blogger sharing button blogger
buffer sharing button buffer
diaspora sharing button diaspora
digg sharing button digg
douban sharing button douban
email sharing button email
evernote sharing button evernote
flipboard sharing button flipboard
pocket sharing button getpocket
github sharing button github
gmail sharing button gmail
googlebookmarks sharing button googlebookmarks
hackernews sharing button hackernews
instapaper sharing button instapaper
line sharing button line
linkedin sharing button linkedin
livejournal sharing button livejournal
mailru sharing button mailru
medium sharing button medium
meneame sharing button meneame
messenger sharing button messenger
odnoklassniki sharing button odnoklassniki
pinterest sharing button pinterest
print sharing button print
qzone sharing button qzone
reddit sharing button reddit
refind sharing button refind
renren sharing button renren
skype sharing button skype
snapchat sharing button snapchat
surfingbird sharing button surfingbird
telegram sharing button telegram
tumblr sharing button tumblr
twitter sharing button twitter
vk sharing button vk
wechat sharing button wechat
weibo sharing button weibo
whatsapp sharing button whatsapp
wordpress sharing button wordpress
xing sharing button xing
yahoomail sharing button yahoomail