• Wednesday, Aug 10, 2022
  • Last Update : 04:24 pm

Nusrat's family demands immediate execution of verdict

  • Published at 04:11 pm October 24th, 2019
Nusrat jahan rafi murder
Police escort the accused after verdict at Women and Children Repression Prevention Tribunal premises in Feni on Thursday, October 24, 2019 Dhaka Tribune

They also expressed satisfaction

Expressing satisfaction at the verdict in Feni madrasa student NusratJahan Rafi's murder case, her family has demanded immediate execution of the sentence.

Nusrat's older brother, Mahmudul HasanNoman, also the plaintiff of the case, said: "Although it was delayed, I am satisfied that justice has been served."

Nusrat's younger brother Rashedul Hasan Raihan thanked the prime minister after the verdict was passed on Thursday. 

However, until the judgment is immediately executed, he cannot become fully satisfied, Noman told reporters. 

Earlier in the day, a Feni tribunal sentenced 16 people to death in Nusrat murder case. 

Women and Children Repression Prevention Tribunal Judge Mamunur Rashid passed the verdict at 11:21am.

Nusrat's father AKM Musa and brother Noman both were present at the court when the verdict was being delivered.

Both of them broke down in tears when the verdict was read out.

"My family has cried for more than six months [since Nusrat died]," Musa told reporters. "We have been waiting for this day."

"All of the accused were sentenced to death today [Thursday]," he said. "Nusrat's soul will now rest in peace."

Musa thanked the police bureau of investigation (PBI) for finishing their investigation within such a short frame of time. 

However, he expressed fears regarding his and his family's security, now that the verdict has been delivered.

He sought protection for his family, fearing attack on his family. 

What happened?

On April 6, 18 year old NusratJahan, an alim examinee of SonagaziIslamia Senior FazilMadrasa, was set on fire in broad daylight on the roof of the madrasa by people loyal to principal Sirajuddaula, when she refused to withdraw a sexual harassment case her family filed against him on May 27.

She succumbed to her critical burn injuries at the Dhaka Medical College Hospital on April 10, which sparked nationwide outrage and a public demand for swift justice against the perpetrators.