The incident left one other injured
A man and his nephew have died and one other injured after being electrocuted by a mouse trap in a paddy field of Sadullapur upazila in Gaibandha district.
The incident occurred in Damodarpur’s Katlir Bil area of Damodarpur union early Thursday.
The deceased are Aijal Mia, 40, son of Safur Uddin of East Damodarpur village and his nephew, Ujjal Mia, 14, son of Dulal Mia of the same village.
The injured, Harun Mia, 45, is currently undergoing treatment in Sadullapur Upazila Health Complex.
Damodarpur Union Parishad (UP) Chairman AZM Sazedul Islam Shadhin confirmed the matter to Dhaka Tribune.
He said: “On Wednesday night, Aijal, along with Ujjal and Harun, went fishing nearby Katlir Bil area.“
“However, Ful Mia, a farmer of the same village, had earlier planted an electrocuted trap on his farmland to kill mice.”
Unaware of the mouse traps, the trio approached Ful Mia’s land and triggered the trap, which killed Aijal and Ujjal on spot, and injured Harun.
Hearing his screams, locals rescued him and took him to the upazila health complex, the UP chairman added.