• Sunday, Aug 14, 2022
  • Last Update : 04:24 pm

Seven years on, justice eludes Twaki murder

  • Published at 10:36 pm March 5th, 2020
File photo of Tanvir Mohammad Twaki

Seventeen year old Twaki went missing from in front of his house in Narayanganj on March 6, 2013

Seven years ago the body of a teenager, Tanvir Mohammad Twaki, was found on the banks of the Shitalakhya River in Narayanganj. However, charges are yet to be filed in the suspected murder case.

The failure of law enforcement agencies in not completing their investigation into the mysterious killing in seven years, has frustrated family and cultural organizations who are demanding justice.

Criminals are being encouraged and the independent judiciary is coming under question, as the trial of the murder case has not begun yet, they said.

Seventeen year old Twaki went missing from in front of his house in Narayanganj on March 6, 2013, and his father Rafiur Rabbi filed a general diary in this connection.

Twaki was later found dead on the banks of the Shitalakhya in Narayanganj on March 8. His father filed a case holding responsible for the killing, people angry with him for his social and cultural activities.

The accused are ruling Awami League lawmaker Shamim Osman, his son Ayon Osman, Narayanganj district unit Jubo League leader Zahirul Islam Bhuiyan alias Kangaroo Parvez, district unit Chhatra League General Secretary Mizanur Rahman Sijon and Vice-President Rajeeb Das, Rifat bin-Osman, and Saleh Rahman alias Simanta.

The case was first investigated by police, but was handed over to RAB after the victim's father filed a petition with the High Court.

In 2014, RAB named 11 suspects, including Azmeri Osman, son of former Narayanganj 5 MP late Nasim Osman, and nephew of Narayanganj 4 MP, Shamim Osman.

Bloodstained trousers were recovered from Azmeri Osman’s office in a RAB raid on August 7, 2014.

Other suspects named by RAB were Rajib, Kalam Shikdar, Mamun, Opu, Kajal, Shipon, Jamshed Khokon, Yusuf Hossain alias Liton, Sultan Shawkat alias Bhromor, and Tayebuddin alias Jacky.

Investigating officials said the first seven accused and Azmeri are on the run while the rest are in custody.

Following arrest, Bhromor confessed that he was present in Azmeri’s office in Narayanganj when Twaki was allegedly tortured to death sometime after 9:30pm on March 6, 2013.

However, Bhromor later filed a petition to withdraw his confessional statement and secured bail. He is believed to be living outside the country at present.

One suspect, Yusuf Hossain alias Liton, who was arrested by RAB on July 29, 2013, made a confessional statement to the court that included names similar to those submitted to the police by Twaki’s father Rafiur Rahman Rabbi on March 18. Liton is also out on bail.

“The prime minister, on different occasions, said justice will be provided for Twak’si murder. She also said she is aware of the persons involved in the killing and who helped the killers flee the country. She also said all the intelligence reports on this are in her hand, but seven years have passed,” the victim's father Rabbi told Dhaka Tribune.

But the investigations into the case got stalled after Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on June 3, 2014, while taking part in the condolence meeting for Nasim Osman, late member of parliament from Narayanganj 5 and elder brother of Shamim Osman,  defended the Osman family saying that her family has a good relationship with the Osman family and would take care of them (Osman family members) whenever necessary, he alleged.

“As the investigation has been stopped by the government, it is clear that my son's killers and masterminds were sympathised by the state,” said Rabbi, also a vice-president of “Narayanganj Nagorik Committee.”

“It is a failure of the government and their perversion. But I expect that the investigation will be completed and the criminals will be brought to book sometime even if not under this government's tenure,” he said.

Narayanganj Nagorik Committee General Secretary Abdur Rahman alleged that justice in the killing has been stalled because of intervention by the premier.

Abdur Rahman and Halim Azad, Member Secretary of the Santrash Nirmul Taqi Mancha, expected that justice would come someday.

Dhaka Tribune called Squadron Leader Md Rezaul Haque, commanding officer of RAB-11, several times, but the calls remain unanswered.

The Mancha will observe different activities in Dhaka and Narayanganj on March 6, 7, 8 and 13, to mark seven years since the murder.