The elephant came down from a hill most likely in search of food when it was accidentally electrocuted
A male elephant was electrocuted to death when its trunk reportedly came in contact with a live electric wire in Teknaf upazila of Cox's Bazar.
The incident took place at Khonda Kata area in Pashchim Pankhali under the Hnila union in the early hours of Friday.
Teknaf Forest Beat Officer Masud Parvez said: "The elephant came down a hill towards Khonda Kata village most likely in search of food. We think its trunk came in contact with a live electric wire and causing instant death to the poor animal. We will know more details after an autopsy."
Meanwhile, hundreds of locals crowded the area to get a glimpse of the giant animal which had perished tragically.