• Monday, Aug 08, 2022
  • Last Update : 04:24 pm

Sinha murder: Probe panel to file report on Sept 7

  • Published at 08:37 pm September 5th, 2020
Maj (Ret) Sinha Md Rashed Khan <strong>Collected</strong>
File photo of Major (retd) Sinha Md Rashed Khan Collected

Committee formed by the Home Ministry gives 12 recommendations based on findings

The inquiry committee formed to look into the murder of retired Major Sinha Md Rashed Khan in a police firing, is to file its report on September 7.

Addressing the media at a Cox’s Bazar hotel on Saturday, Chittagong’s Additional Divisional Commissioner Md Mizanur Rahman said the 80-page report includes 12 recommendations.

“We have detailed how the incident unfolded and suggested measures to prevent these kinds of incidents from happening,” said Rahman, who heads the Home Ministry probe panel.

At the briefing, it was said the probe committee has already taken all preparations to submit its report to the Home Ministry.

The committee is going to submit the investigation report in 35 days after extending their deadline four times, said Rahman, head of the committee.

He said both the recommendations and the probe report will be submitted to the Home Ministry.

A member of the probe committee, Lt Col Sazzad, said: “Members of law enforcement agencies should follow the chain of command, respect the law, and show professionalism.”

He also said law enforcement should not abuse power but rather, work hard to protect the law.

The home ministry's Public Security Division formed the committee on August 2 to probe the murder and recommend ways to stop any recurrence of such incidents.

On July 31, retired army officer Sinha was shot dead by suspended police officer Liakat at the Shamlapur police check post on Marine Drive in Teknaf's Baharchhara.

Sinha was on his way back to Nilima Resort in Himchori after filming a video on Marishbunia hill in Teknaf.

On August 5, Sinha's older sister Sharmin Shahriar filed a case with the Judicial Magistrate Court in connection with the murder where 15 people were named as accused.