• Thursday, Jun 08, 2023
  • Last Update : 06:33 pm

Narayanganj mosque blast: District probe body records testimonies of 25 people

  • Published at 11:19 pm September 8th, 2020
narayanganj explosion
Aftermath of explosion causing a fatal fire at mosque in Narayanganj is seen in this picture taken on September 6, 2020 Md Manik/Dhaka Tribune

Titas Gas probe committee grills four, including chairman of mosque committee

A total of 25 people have recorded their testimonies regarding the fatal mosque blast in Narayanganj on the second day of the public hearing by the probe body formed by the district administration.

The committee will submit its probe report on September 10, Additional District Magistrate Khadiza Tahira, chief of the probe body, stated on Tuesday.

She said: “We are conducting our investigation. As part of the investigation, we recorded the statements of 18 individuals on Monday.”


Also Read - Another victim of Narayanganj mosque blast dies, death toll rises to 28


Meanwhile, the probe committee formed by Titas Gas Transmission and Distribution Company Ltd interrogated four members of the mosque committee on Tuesday.

General Manager Abdul Wahab Talukdar, head of the probe committee, confirmed the matter.

He said he could not reveal anything in this regard before the investigation had been completed.

However, the mosque committee alleged that the Titas authorities were trying to avoid taking responsibility and were trying to protect themselves.


Also Read - Narayanganj mosque blast: Gas leakages found at the spot, digging continues


The four members of the mosque committee gave their written statements to the probe body.

Meanwhile, Abdul Wahab Talukdar said on Tuesday that two leakages had been found on the gas pipeline to a closed residential connection under the mosque.

He said: “We don’t know if there are still any more gas pipelines under the mosque. We will examine the gas lines on three sides of the mosque. Under the road on the north side of the mosque, we found two leakages on the gas pipelines to a closed residential connection.”

“We have found two pipelines till now. Both are from 1996. But there is another pipeline on the east side of the mosque. But we don’t know yet how far this one has got.”


Also Read - Narayanganj explosion: Who is to blame?


Bangladesh witnessed apparently the deadliest blast from air conditioners at a mosque in Fatullah of Narayanganj on Friday night that has left 28 people dead so far.

Although air conditioner blasts appeared to be a common happening with a few casualties in the country, no such disastrous blast has been reported in the country in the last few decades.

In Friday night's incident, around 40 people suffered burn injuries. Of them, a total of 37 injured were taken to the Sheikh Hasina National Institute of Burn and Plastic Surgery in Dhaka.Narayanganj explosion: Who is to blame?