• Thursday, Aug 18, 2022
  • Last Update : 04:24 pm

PBI arrests man who accused Rayhan of mugging

  • Published at 12:11 am October 26th, 2020
Rayhan Ahmed
File photo of Rayhan Ahmed Collected

A Sylhet court has sent him to jail

The Police Bureau of Investigation (PBI) has arrested the man who accused Rayhan Ahmed, the Sylhet man who reportedly died in police custody earlier this month, of mugging. 

The arrestee, Sheikh Saidur Rahman, was shown arrested in the Rayhan murder case as a suspect and produced before a Sylhet court on Sunday, under Section 54. 

The court then sent Saidur to jail, said Amulya Kumar Chowdhury, assistant commissioner (prosecution) of Sylhet Metropolitan Police (SMP). 

According to a PBI source, Saidur filed a complaint accusing Rayhan of mugging. Police arrested Saidur as there is doubt regarding the authenticity of the complaint.

Rayhan, 34, was picked up and taken to Sylhet Kotwali police station’s Bandarbazar outpost in the early hours of October 11, where he died in police custody following hours of torture, his family said.

Denying the allegation, police said Rayhan was caught by the locals while mugging and was lynched.

Also Read - Sylhet mayor persuades Rayhan's mother to withdraw hunger strike

Police said they found the man wounded after a mob beating and took him to a hospital, where he died.

However, the victim's mother said Rayhan had called her from an unknown number at 4:23am and said police took him to Bandarbazar police outpost and were demanding Tk10,000 for his release.

On October 12, Rayhan’s wife Tahmina Akhter Tanni filed a case with Kotwali police station in this connection; no one was accused in the case.

The case has since been transferred to the PBI following the family’s demand, police said.

After the case was filed, the outpost in-charge Sub-Inspector Akbar Hossain and three other police officials were suspended, and three others were withdrawn from the outpost. 

SI Akbar went into hiding on October 13, and has been a fugitive since then. 

Recording his statement as a witness before a Sylhet court on October 19, Constable Shamim Miah of Bandarbazar outpost said SI Akbar was beating Rayhan in his room when, at one point, a man entered the room and said Rayhan had stolen his phone and money. 

Rayhan then said he had not taken the man’s money, and he had taken his phone but returned it afterwards. 

He further added that someone else had stolen the man’s phone and money.

However, the man pressed his claim, saying it was Rayhan who had stolen his phone and money.

After hearing the claim, Akbar sent the man away and started beating Rayhan mercilessly. 

That man was Sheikh Saidur Rahman, according to several police sources.