• Saturday, Jun 25, 2022
  • Last Update : 04:24 pm

Custodial death of Rayhan: 3 more cops suspended

  • Published at 09:26 pm November 25th, 2020
Rayhan Ahmed
File photo of Rayhan Ahmed Collected

With the latest development, so far, a total of 10 cops have either been suspended or withdrawn following Rayhan's murder in custody

Three more police officials have been suspended over the murder of Rayhan Ahmed, who was allegedly tortured to death while in the custody of Sylhet police.

Additional Deputy Commissioner (Media) of Sylhet Metropolitan Police (SMP) BM Ashraf Ullah Taher confirmed the matter to Dhaka Tribune on Wednesday evening.

The suspended officers are -- Inspector (Investigation) of Soumen Mitra, Sub-Inspector (SI) Abdul Baten, and Assistant Sub-Inspector (ASI) Kutub Ali of Kotwali Model police station.

SI Abdul Baten was the Investigation Officer (IO) of the much-talked about case before it was handed over to the Police Bureau of Investigation (PBI).

Also Read- SI Akbar confesses to torturing Rayhan in custody along with other cops

With the latest development, so far, a total of 10 police officials have either been suspended or withdrawn from the force over Raihan's murder.

Earlier on October 12, four police officers were suspended and three others were withdrawn from duty in Sylhet following Rayhan's death.

The seven officers were: Sub-Inspector (SI) Akbar Bhuiyan, the in-charge of the city’s Bandarbazar police outpost, Assistant Sub-Inspectors (ASI) Touhid Mia, Ashik Elahi and Kutub Ali, and Constables Titu Chandra Das, Harunur Rashid, and Shajib Hossain.

On October 11, 34-year-old Rayhan died in police custody following torture, as alleged by his family. Police denied the allegation and said Rayhan had been caught by locals while he was engaged in a mugging and was lynched.

Also Read- Custodial death of Rayhan: Suspended SI Akbar’s phone, belongings recovered from Sylhet

Police said they found the man wounded in a mob beating and took him to a hospital, where he died.

However, the victim's mother said Rayhan had called her from an unknown number at 4:23am and told her that police had taken him to Bandarbazar police outpost and were demanding Tk10,000 for his release.

Earlier at midnight on October 12, Rayhan’s wife Tahmina Akhter Tanni filed the case with Kotwali police station over the incident.

Facebook 50
blogger sharing button blogger
buffer sharing button buffer
diaspora sharing button diaspora
digg sharing button digg
douban sharing button douban
email sharing button email
evernote sharing button evernote
flipboard sharing button flipboard
pocket sharing button getpocket
github sharing button github
gmail sharing button gmail
googlebookmarks sharing button googlebookmarks
hackernews sharing button hackernews
instapaper sharing button instapaper
line sharing button line
linkedin sharing button linkedin
livejournal sharing button livejournal
mailru sharing button mailru
medium sharing button medium
meneame sharing button meneame
messenger sharing button messenger
odnoklassniki sharing button odnoklassniki
pinterest sharing button pinterest
print sharing button print
qzone sharing button qzone
reddit sharing button reddit
refind sharing button refind
renren sharing button renren
skype sharing button skype
snapchat sharing button snapchat
surfingbird sharing button surfingbird
telegram sharing button telegram
tumblr sharing button tumblr
twitter sharing button twitter
vk sharing button vk
wechat sharing button wechat
weibo sharing button weibo
whatsapp sharing button whatsapp
wordpress sharing button wordpress
xing sharing button xing
yahoomail sharing button yahoomail