While as yet 3-4 accused including Abdus Sattar have been arrested, Zillur's family claim that the key accused Abul Hasan and others are moving around freely in public
Police have arrested the second accused named in the murder case of Zillur Rahman, a Jubo League activist who was hacked to death in broad daylight in Comilla city last year.
The arrestee Abdus Sattar, 34, is a councillor of ward 26 under Comilla City Corporation and vice-president of Comilla Metropolitan unit of Bangladesh Awami Swechasebak League.
The Police Bureau of Investigation (PBI), the investigating agency in the case, made the arrest in Dhaka's Shahbagh area on Tuesday.
Speaking to Dhaka Tribune, PBI Comilla Superintendent of Police Mizanur Rahman said: “Abdus Sattar, the second accused in the murder case of Jubo League activist Zillur Rahman, was arrested in Dhaka. He is now being brought to Comilla. A press briefing will soon be held regarding the arrest.”
Zillur Rahman was hacked to death by multiple assailants on November 11 last year.
Following the incident, his younger brother Imran Hossain Chowdhury filed a case with the Comilla Sadar Dakshin Model police station, accusing 24 people of involvement in the murder.
Another local ward councillor Abul Hasan was made the key accused in the case.
The case was handed over from Comilla Sadar Dakshin police to the PBI via a court order.
While as yet 3-4 accused, including Abdus Sattar, have been arrested, Zillur's family claim that the key accused Abul Hasan and others are moving around freely in public.
The deceased Zillur Rahman 48, was a resident of the municipality’s ward 25. Zillur was also vying for the post of vice-president for the same ward’s Jubo League unit and he previously had run for the post of councillor from the same ward back in 2017.
At the time of the murder, police said the reason behind the killing could not be known immediately while multiple local sources claimed Zillur was killed over previous enmity centering on regional politics.