• Thursday, May 26, 2022
  • Last Update : 03:54 pm

Rayhan murder: SI Hasan of Bandarbazar police outpost arrested

  • Published at 03:29 pm February 4th, 2021
SI Hasan Uddin
SI Hasan Uddin Collected

Hasan, who was earlier suspended and attached to the Sylhet Metropolitan Police Lines, was shown arrested on Thursday morning

The Police Bureau of Investigation (PBI) has arrested suspended sub-inspector Hasan Uddin for allegedly helping the key accused in the Rayhan murder case, Akbar Hossain, the then in-charge of Bandarbazar police outpost in Sylhet, to go into hiding.

Confirming the matter to Dhaka Tribune, PBI Additional Superintendent of Police (Add SP) Md Khaleduzzaman said: “Hasan along with Abdullah Al Noman, an online news portal journalist, allegedly helped Akbar escape following the death of 34-year-old Rayhan Ahmed at Bandarbazar police outpost in October last year. Besides, there are also allegations against these two for destroying footages of the closed-circuit cameras around the outpost.” 

Hasan, who was earlier suspended and attached to the Sylhet Metropolitan Police Lines, was shown arrested on Thursday morning.

Also Read- Bandar Bazar police SI suspended over Rayhan’s death

On October 11, Rayhan, a resident of Akhalia in Sylhet city, was beaten to death in police custody at Bandar Bazar police outpost.

On October 12, Rayhan's wife Tahmina Akhter Tanni filed a case under the Torture and Custodial Death (Prevention) Act 2013 with Sylhet Kotwali police station.

The case was later transferred to PBI following the family's demand.

A forensic medical board of Sylhet MAG Osmani Medical College and Hospital, in its second autopsy report, said Rayhan had died due to injuries he sustained from a blunt weapon.

In the first autopsy report, the doctors found 111 injury marks on Rayhan's body. Of them, 14 were serious injuries.

Also Read- Sylhet custodial death: Key accused SI Akbar arrested

According to the autopsy report, two of Rayhan's fingernails had been removed. Such torture was carried out on him for two to four hours before his death. The medical board found similarities between the first autopsy report and the second one.

A probe body of Sylhet Metropolitan Police (SMP) also found the truth of the torture.

SI Akbar, the then in-charge of Bandar Bazar police outpost, and three police personnel were suspended on October 12 while three others were also withdrawn from the outpost.

Akbar fled from police custody on October 13 and was arrested at the Dona border in the northeastern district's Kanaighat upazila on November 9.

Facebook 50
blogger sharing button blogger
buffer sharing button buffer
diaspora sharing button diaspora
digg sharing button digg
douban sharing button douban
email sharing button email
evernote sharing button evernote
flipboard sharing button flipboard
pocket sharing button getpocket
github sharing button github
gmail sharing button gmail
googlebookmarks sharing button googlebookmarks
hackernews sharing button hackernews
instapaper sharing button instapaper
line sharing button line
linkedin sharing button linkedin
livejournal sharing button livejournal
mailru sharing button mailru
medium sharing button medium
meneame sharing button meneame
messenger sharing button messenger
odnoklassniki sharing button odnoklassniki
pinterest sharing button pinterest
print sharing button print
qzone sharing button qzone
reddit sharing button reddit
refind sharing button refind
renren sharing button renren
skype sharing button skype
snapchat sharing button snapchat
surfingbird sharing button surfingbird
telegram sharing button telegram
tumblr sharing button tumblr
twitter sharing button twitter
vk sharing button vk
wechat sharing button wechat
weibo sharing button weibo
whatsapp sharing button whatsapp
wordpress sharing button wordpress
xing sharing button xing
yahoomail sharing button yahoomail