• Wednesday, Jan 26, 2022
  • Last Update : 03:32 am

Rayhan murder: Investigation extended for a month

  • Published at 05:44 pm February 19th, 2021
Rayhan Ahmed
File photo of Rayhan Ahmed Collected

PBI is working to submit a flawless probe report, says SP Khaleduzzaman

A Sylhet court has extended the investigation period by 30 working days for the case filed over the custodial death of Rayhan Ahmed. 

Sylhet Metropolitan Sessions Judge Md Abdul Momin gave the order after holding a hearing on Sunday.

The Police Bureau of Investigation's (PBI) Superintendent of Police (SP) Md Khaleduzzaman confirmed the matter on Thursday.

He said the investigation was at the final stage, and PBI was working to submit a flawless probe report.

Public Prosecutor (PP) Advocate Nowshad Ahmed Chowdury said as Rayhan murder was a high-profile case, they were making sure there were no loopholes in the investigation.

Also Read - Rayhan murder: ASI Ashek denied bail

According to sources, police have yet to arrest journalist Abdullah Al Noman, who along with Sub Inspector (SI) Hasan Ali destroyed evidence in the case.

So far, SI Hasan Ali and five other policemen, including SI Akbar, have been arrested in connection to this case.

On October 11, 34-year-old Rayhan, a resident of Akhalia in Sylhet city, was beaten to death in police custody at Bandar Bazar police outpost.

The next day, Rayhan's wife Tahmina Akhter Tanni filed a case under the Torture and Custodial Death (Prevention) Act 2013 with Sylhet Kotwali police station.

The case was then transferred to Police Bureau of Investigation (PBI) following the family's demand.

Also Read - Sylhet custodial death: Key accused SI Akbar arrested

A forensic medical board of Sylhet MAG Osmani Medical College and Hospital, in its second autopsy report, said Rayhan had died due to injuries he sustained from a blunt weapon.

In the first autopsy report, the doctors found 111 injury marks on Rayhan's body. Of them, 14 were serious injuries.

A probe body of Sylhet Metropolitan Police (SMP) also found the truth of the torture.

SI Akbar, the then in-charge of Bandar Bazar police outpost, and three police personnel were suspended on October 12 while three others were also withdrawn from the outpost.

Akbar fled from police custody on October 13 and was arrested at the Dona border in the northeastern district's Kanaighat upazila on November 9.

Facebook 50
blogger sharing button blogger
buffer sharing button buffer
diaspora sharing button diaspora
digg sharing button digg
douban sharing button douban
email sharing button email
evernote sharing button evernote
flipboard sharing button flipboard
pocket sharing button getpocket
github sharing button github
gmail sharing button gmail
googlebookmarks sharing button googlebookmarks
hackernews sharing button hackernews
instapaper sharing button instapaper
line sharing button line
linkedin sharing button linkedin
livejournal sharing button livejournal
mailru sharing button mailru
medium sharing button medium
meneame sharing button meneame
messenger sharing button messenger
odnoklassniki sharing button odnoklassniki
pinterest sharing button pinterest
print sharing button print
qzone sharing button qzone
reddit sharing button reddit
refind sharing button refind
renren sharing button renren
skype sharing button skype
snapchat sharing button snapchat
surfingbird sharing button surfingbird
telegram sharing button telegram
tumblr sharing button tumblr
twitter sharing button twitter
vk sharing button vk
wechat sharing button wechat
weibo sharing button weibo
whatsapp sharing button whatsapp
wordpress sharing button wordpress
xing sharing button xing
yahoomail sharing button yahoomail