Hridoy attempted to rescue his son but lost consciousness soon after jumping into the septic tank
A man and his son have died after inhaling poisonous fumes while working inside a septic tank in Belkuchi upazila of Sirajganj.
The incident took place at a construction site of a mosque in Subarnasara Dakshinpara in the Belkuchi municipal area on Tuesday night.
The deceased have been identified as Hridoy, 35, and his son Bishal, 17, of the local Harijan community.
Locals said Bishal had been cleaning the mosque’s septic tank with his father Hridoy since Tuesday morning. In the afternoon, Hridoy started screaming for help after failing to get a response from Bishal inside the septic tank. When locals gathered, Hridoy attempted to rescue his son but lost consciousness soon after jumping into the septic tank.
Informed, local units of fire service and police later recovered the bodies of the father and his son.
Confirming the matter to Dhaka Tribune, Belkuchi police station OC (Investigation) Noor Alam said: "The man and his son believed to have died inhaling poisonous gas inside the septic tank."
Manzil Haque, deputy assistant director of the Sirajganj Fire Service and Civil Defense, said: "The two men lost consciousness shortly after getting into the tank. Locals informed the fire service after failing to receive any response from them. Members of the fire service later responded to the scene and recovered their bodies from inside the tank."