District SP says there was no militant or sabotage links behind the incident
The explosion that killed at least three people and injured two others in Gaibandha’s Gobindaganj upazila was caused by a mortar shell in an attempt to cut it open, police have said.
No evidence of militant connection or sabotage was found regarding the explosion, they added.
Gaibandha Superintendent of Police (SP) Mohammad Towhidul Islam disclosed these findings in a press conference on Thursday.
“The mortar shell was planted underground in 1971 or possibly, even before that. A part of it was disposed of on Thursday morning,” he said.
However, earlier on Wednesday, locals said at least three strangers entered the house minutes before the incident. An altercation and gunshots were heard coming from the house, and after a while a tin roofing sheet blew off in a loud explosion.
Also Read- 3 killed, 2 injured in Gaibandha explosion
The explosion occurred at around 3:30pm on Wednesday at the house of Borhan Uddin Prodhan in Mekurai Naya Para village under Kamardaha union.
Upon receiving the news, a team of the Bangladesh Fire Service and Civil Defence and local police rushed to the spot and cordoned off the house.
A police official, requesting anonymity, said some workers had recently found the mortar shell at Shibganj upazila of Bogra, while digging soil for the Dhaka-Rangpur six-lane highway project.
The object ended up at Borhan’s house before it exploded as some people including Borhan reportedly tried to cut it open. Borhan is among the deceased.
In another development, a team of 11 experts coming from Dhaka visited the scene of the explosion on Thursday morning. They collected samples from there before returning to the capital.
Gobindaganj police have so far arrested a 52-year-old man and booked four women for interrogation over the incident.
Also, the process to file a case under the Explosives Act was underway when this report was filed at 7:30pm.