• Tuesday, Aug 16, 2022
  • Last Update : 03:54 pm

Bus-microbus collision leaves 17 dead in Rajshahi

  • Published at 03:55 pm March 26th, 2021
rajshahi road accident
The cylinder of the microbus exploded upon impact and caught on fire, killing 11 people on the spot in Rajshahi’s Kapasia area at around 1:45pm on Friday, March 26, 2021 Dhaka Tribune

They were going for a picnic on the banks of the River Padma

At least 17 people died on Friday afternoon after a bus collided head-on with a microbus in Rajshahi’s Kapasia area.

As soon as the collision took place, the microbus caught fire, killing all 17 people on-board. Of them, 11 died on the spot and the remaining six succumbed to their injuries at Rajshahi Medical College Hospital (RMCH).

The deceased are Mokhlesur Rahman, his wife Parveen and son Pavel, Tazul Islam, his wife Mukta Begum and son Yamin, Phul Miah, his wife Nazma Begum and daughters Sumaiya and Sazid, Salah Uddin, his wife Shamsunnar Begum, children Sajib and Sabah and sister-in-law Kamrunnahar, Shahidul Islam and Pocha Miah, driver of the microbus.

All of the deceased were residents of Rangpur’s Pirganj upazila.

Pirganj police station OC Saresh Chandra confirmed the matter to Dhaka Tribune.

Quoting locals, police said the 17 people, of five families, were going to the banks of the Padma River in Rajshahi for a picnic. After reaching the Kapasia area, their microbus collided head-on with a passenger bus coming from the opposite direction.

Speaking to Dhaka Tribune at the RMCH morgue, Salah Uddin's niece Champa said in a tearful voice that she was informed that her family members were coming to visit Rajshahi. “I could not believe the news of the collision. But, when I rushed to the hospital and I saw their burnt bodies! I could only recognize the body of my uncle Salah Uddin and couldn’t identify anyone else as everyone else had been burnt to charcoal.”

Meanwhile, none of the passengers, including the bus driver, supervisor and assistant, were killed in the accident only injured.

Rajshahi Metropolitan Police spokesman Golam Ruhul Quddus: “The microbus lost control after overtaking a van and collided head-on with the oncoming bus. All 17 people on board the microbus including its driver died. Their bodies have been kept at the RMCH morgue for autopsy. After that, the bodies will be handed over to their family.” 

Necessary legal action will be taken in this regard, he added.