Four probe committees have been formed to investigate the incident
The death toll from Sunday's launch capsize on the Shitalakkhya River has climbed to 34 after four more bodies were recovered.
The bodies were recovered around 10am on Tuesday, confirmed Narayanganj Fire Service and Civil Defence Deputy Director Abdullah Al Arefin.
Earlier, the Navy, Coast Guard, Fire Services and police recovered five bodies on Sunday and 25 bodies on Monday.
Of the 30 bodies recovered till 4:30pm on Monday, 16 were women, nine men and five children.
Around 7pm on Sunday, the passenger vessel ML Sabit Al Hasan sank after colliding with the cargo ship SKL-3 at the mouth of the Syedpur Koyla Ghat on the Shitalakkhya River in Munshiganj. Police and onlookers said the cargo vessel fled the scene after the collision.
The launch had an estimated 150 passengers. Port Police Officer-in-Charge (OC) Deepak Chandra Saha said 50-60 of them were able to swim to the banks, but three of them had to be rushed to the hospital.
Mrinal Kanti Das, MP of Munshiganj Sadar constituency, said boat accidents are continuously occurring on the Shitalakshya river and most of the people who lose their lives are from Munshiganj. Everybody only pays attention when a big accident happens.
He said: "I have spoken about this in the National Assembly, but accidents have not stopped."
He demanded that the administration stop the anchoring of lighter ships in the Shitalakshya naval channel and take permanent measures to prevent accidents.
A total of four probe committees have been formed to investigate the incident, so far.
Deputy Commissioner Mostain Billah said on Monday that a seven-member probe committee headed by Additional District Magistrate (ADM) Kharija Tahera Bobby had been formed to investigate the incident.
He also said bodies have been handed over to families and the district administration has granted Tk25,000 to each of the deceased’s family for the burial process.
The Bangladesh Inland Water Transport Authority (BIWTA) formed a four-member investigation committee, led by BIWTA director (Maritime Security) Rafiqul Islam, as per the directive of BIWTA Chairman Commodore Golam Sadeq.
Another seven-member probe committee was formed with Abdur Sattar Sheikh, joint secretary of the shipping ministry, as convener. An office order was issued in this regard by the Ministry of Shipping on Monday.
A three-member committee with Department of Shipping Engineer and Chief Surveyor Mohammad Ehtasanul Haque Fakir was also formed to investigate the accident.