Five firefighting units rushed to the spot and doused the fire in 20 minutes
A 40-year-old woman was killed in Khulna city on Sunday as the gas cylinder in her house exploded.
The deceased, identified as Shraboni Begum, was from the city's Iqbalnagar area, confirmed Mujibur Rahman, official at the Tutpara Fire Service and Civil Defence.
He said that a gas leak from a cylinder erupted in flames when the victim was cooking in the kitchen at around 12pm.
Shraboni, who was alone in the house at that time, got locked inside and could not escape as the fire engulfed the house within a few seconds on the second floor of a building in Iqbalnagar's Karimabad Colony, he added.
Five units of fire service rushed to the spot and it took them 20 minutes to put off the flames.
Shraboni suffered severe burn injuries and her husband Shahidul Islam was not at home at the time of the incident. The firefighters rescued the woman and rushed her to Khulna Medical College Hospital where she was declared dead upon arrival, Mujibur added.