• Wednesday, May 31, 2023
  • Last Update : 06:33 pm

Freedom fighter dies at Tangail hospital, family alleges negligence by hospital staff

  • Published at 03:53 pm June 2nd, 2021
Tangail map
Map of Tangail Dhaka Tribune

Family claims hospital staff paid no heed to their calls when Nur-e-Khuda’s condition deteriorated

Allegations of negligence by hospital staff have been raised by family members of a 1971 freedom fighter after he died at Tangail General Hospital on Tuesday night.

The hospital authorities also reportedly refused to hand over deceased Nur-e-Khuda’s body to his family members when they asked.

The heated arguments between the groups later ended with a clash and police intervening.

According to the family, Nur-e-Khuda of Hugra union was taken to the hospital’s emergency department on Tuesday morning as he was having chest pain. From there, he was transferred to the cardiology department.

However, he had to lay on the hospital floor as authorities denied him one of the beds reserved for freedom fighters when family members failed to show documents proving his 1971 veteran status.

Nur-e-Khuda’s condition started deteriorating as time went by. Later in the evening, he was transferred to the cardiology department’s Coronary Care Unit after his family members managed to submit his freedom fighter’s certificate.

Family members also alleged that the hospital staff paid no heed to their calls when Nur-e-Khuda’s condition deteriorated.

The freedom fighter passed away around 7:30pm.

Following his death, family members raised allegations of negligence and mistreatment by the hospital staff, which led to an altercation with the hospital authorities.

At one point, the hospital staff assaulted them and allegedly barred them from leaving with Nur-e-Khuda’s body.

Police later arrived at the spot and took the situation under control after Nur-e-Khuda’s son Imran called 999 for help.

Hugra Union Parisad Chairman Toffazal Hossain Tofa said he was also assaulted by the hospital staff when he arrived at the scene after hearing of Nur-e-Khuda’s death.

The hospital staff also reportedly tried to snatch and break the camera of the local correspondent of TV channel DBC News when he tried to catch the incident.

Md Imran, son of the deceased freedom fighter, demanded exemplary punishment for those responsible for neglecting his father’s treatment.

However, the hospital’s Resident Medical Officer (RMO) Shafiqul Islam Sajib brushed off all allegations against the hospital staff and claimed the deceased’s family members had vandalized the hospital.

Meanwhile, Tangail Sadar police station OC Mir Mosharraf Hossain said neither hospital authorities nor the freedom fighter’s family members had lodged a complaint about the incident.