A probe committee has been formed to investigate the matter and the security has been beefed up in and around the court
Three policemen have been suspended after former Teknaf police station officer-in-charge Pradeep Kumar Das, the prime accused in the Sinha murder case, was found using a mobile phone in court on the first day of trial.
Subsequently, a probe committee was formed to investigate the incident while the security in and around the court was beefed up before the final day of recording statements of the witnesses on Wednesday.
Confirming the matter, Cox's Bazar Superintendent of Police (SP) Hasanuzzaman said: “Three policemen on duty in the courtroom at that time, including one sub-inspector and two constables, have been withdrawn on charges of negligence and attached to the district police lines.”
“Meanwhile, a three-member probe committee, headed by Additional Superintendent of Police Pankaj Barua, has been formed to investigate the matter,” he added.
On Monday, the trial proceedings of the sensational murder case began with recording the testimonial statement of Sinha’s sister and plaintiff of the case Sharmin Shahriar Ferdous.
At around 12 noon, Pradeep was seen talking on his mobile phone while crouching behind the other 14 accused all of whom were standing inside the court dock.
As pictures of him talking on his mobile phone went viral on social media, Public Prosecutor Advocate Faridul Alam drew the attention of the District and Sessions Judge Mohammad Ismail Hossain, who then directed the police to take necessary action in this regard.
Adv Faridul Alam said Pradeep received a warning for his action when the matter was brought up before the court on the final day of recording statements of the witnesses on Wednesday.
The court doesn't allow an accused to use his/her mobile phone without permission, he added.
On June 27, Ismail Hossain took charge of the case and declared the date for recording statements of 10 witnesses on July 26, 27 and 28.
But the date was postponed later due to the government-imposed lockdown to contain the Covid-19 spread.
On July 31 last year, Sinha was shot dead at the Shamlapur police check-post in Baharchhara Union of Cox's Bazar while returning to town after filming for a documentary.
On August 5, Sinha's sister, Sharmin Shahriar Ferdous, filed a case with Teknaf Senior Judicial Magistrate Court accusing nine members of law enforcement agencies of being involved in the killing, including Pradeep Kumar Das and Baharchhara police outpost inspector Liakat Ali.
On December 13, 2020, Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) submitted a charge sheet against 15 people, including police source Ayaz and three APBn members, in connection with the case filed over Sinha's murder at a checkpost manned by APBn, where officers of the Teknaf police station intercepted Sinha's car.