Each ship will be allowed to carry 75 passengers, the authorities say
The world's largest mangrove forest, the Sundarbans, is set to reopen on Wednesday after nearly a five-month closure due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic.
The decision was taken at a meeting of officials from the Forest Department and the Tour Operators Association of the Sundarbans on Sunday afternoon, Khulna region Forest Conservator Mihir Kumar Do confirmed the matter to Dhaka Tribune.
He said: “As per the Sundarbans travel policy, each launch or ship can carry 75 passengers from September 1. Social distancing and health safety guidelines must be maintained while traveling.”
Mihir Kumar Do also warned of strict legal action for carrying extra passengers.
Also Read- Sundarbans to reopen for tourists after 7 months
M Nazmul Azam David, general secretary of the Tour Operators Association of the Sundarbans, said: “The tour operators will conduct necessary activities in compliance with all the policies of the Forest Department.”
The government restricted tourist gatherings in the Sundarbans, a Unesco World Heritage Site, on March 26 last year to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.
However, the authorities allowed tourists to travel to the Sundarbans from November 1, 2020 when the Covid situation improved.
Later, the government restricted travelling to the Sundarbans on April 3 due to the deteriorating Covid situation.
Leave a Comment